Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:41 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
What movie has remained with you years after watching it? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Getting Comfortable

Post What movie has remained with you years after watching it?
For me, it's Se7en. The "what's in the box" scene has to be one of the most powerful scenes I've witnessed. I've certainly watched other very powerful movies, but when I look back, Se7en immediately comes to mind...no thinking involved.

Anyone else care to share?

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:12 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One with Books

Silver Contributor

Post Re: What movie has remained with you years after watching it?
The Matrix, such a great metaphor so full of helpful concepts.

The map is not the territory, the menu is not the food.

The world that has been pulled over your eyes to stop you realising you are a slave.

Just a tour de force of breaking out of the trance :-D

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:11 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I issue my own library cards!

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

The Matrix was great, what a letdown with the sequels though.

Also a fan of Seven.

A memorable movie that I rewatched recently is Sleepers, come to think of it, an all star cast, also with Brad Pitt, DeNiro, Kevin Bacon, Dustin Hoffman

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:31 pm
Profile Email
Getting Comfortable

I haven't seen Sleepers. I just Googled it and it seems like something I'd want to watch. It's not on Netflix, so I guess I'll have to do some hunting to find it. Thanks for the tip!

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:12 pm
Profile Email WWW
Atop the Piled Books

When I watched Se7en, I knew what was going to be in that box, so it wasn't a big shock actually...

Mine are "Predestination", "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas", "Pan's Labirinth".... I can't name all of them as I watch 3-4 movies a week ))

The following user would like to thank Lesley_Vos for this post:
TheAlcoholMemoirs
Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:22 am
Profile WWW
Getting Comfortable

The shocker wasn't "what" was in the box (I'm sure everyone had that figured out--well, the only one who didn't see that coming was Detective Mills:-). To me, the shocker was that Detective Mills (spoiler alert!) shot the handcuffed suspect. It's exactly how I would've written it, but I thought for sure they would've scripted it so he took the high ground and did what was "right". That would not have been realistic.

I enjoyed Predestination, too. I watched it just recently, maybe two weeks ago.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:21 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

"The Heiress", 1949, with Olivia de Haviland and Montgomery Clift...
revenge is sweet...

Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:39 pm
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

I have no idea why but "La Bamba". I watched it so many times when I was younger my mom had to destroy the VHS (yes VHS) so I wouldn't watch it anymore. Such a sad movie. Makes me want to watch it right now just talking about it:)

The following user would like to thank amanda_siegrist for this post:
Harry Marks
Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:41 am
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

This is much more recent, but "War Horse" stayed with me for a long time. I saw it in the theater and didn't see it again until two weeks ago. I will admit I love animals, but this movie is particularly touching to me. Not sure why, but there it is -- the first example that came to mind when I saw your post.

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:18 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Loved "War Horse" also. I like movies with meaning, not just full of senseless action...action...action.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:39 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Nobel Laureate in Literature

Book Discussion Leader

Highscores: 1

Hard to say, but if I had to pick one it would be "inherit the Wind" with Spencer Tracy and Frederic March. Also had a good supporting case, Gene Kelly, Harry Morgan, Claude Akins, and Dick York.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

The following user would like to thank Cattleman for this post:
ant, Harry Marks, Taylor
Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:51 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Building a post count to the moon

Silver Contributor

Quote:
Cattleman wrote:
Hard to say, but if I had to pick one it would be "inherit the Wind" with Spencer Tracy and Frederic March. Also had a good supporting case, Gene Kelly, Harry Morgan, Claude Akins, and Dick York.

Great pick Cattleman, Though its been years since I've seen " Inherit the Wind" it always seems to come back to me, One line of dialog that I just love is from Clarence Darrow while he has WJ Bryan on the witness stand, In questioning Bryan, Darrow asks Bryan if Bryan "Thinks about what he (Bryan) thinks about", Its a line straight from the court recording and to this day it just cracks me up.

The following user would like to thank Taylor for this post:
ant
Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:50 pm
Profile Email
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Cattleman wrote:

Great choice, timeless, and under appreciated today. It's right up there on my very short list.

I remember watching this with my parent when I was very young. It intrigued me.
Just saw it last month. :)

The following user would like to thank ant for this post:
Cattleman, Harry Marks
Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:11 pm
Profile Email
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Taylor wrote:
Quote:
Cattleman wrote:

Great pick Cattleman, Though its been years since I've seen " Inherit the Wind" it always seems to come back to me, One line of dialog that I just love is from Clarence Darrow while he has WJ Bryan on the witness stand, In questioning Bryan, Darrow asks Bryan if Bryan "Thinks about what he (Bryan) thinks about", Its a line straight from the court recording and to this day it just cracks me up.

Although the movie stereotypes a bit, I am able to appreciate its message.
The acting is superior.

I hope they dont remake it. Today's, uh.., people, would screw this classic up.

The following user would like to thank ant for this post:
Cattleman
Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:14 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Building a post count to the moon

Silver Contributor

Quote:
Ant wrote:
Although the movie stereotypes a bit, I am able to appreciate its message.
The acting is superior.

The stereotyping was part of the drama for certain, whether intentional on the part of the studio/director I couldn't say, but in targeting the bible belt of the south, there was easy prey, its probably that exaggeration of stereotype that brings on a laugh from me.
This film was shown to us in school to demonstrate the controversy of teaching evolution in public schools in our nations past. What's interesting to me is that there was no hesitation or repercussions, no controversy in 1976's northeast Ohio over teaching evolution in public schools like we see in some states today, Is it conservatism vs. liberalism? I suppose maybe, what I do see is a level of societal retrograde that is to me counter productive to a knowledge regarding our collective primeval past.

Also interesting to me when I think about that time of my life was the local Church's connection to the public school system, I grew up a Catholic, I was attending regularly Sunday Mass, Friday night fish fry's were a staging ground for us kids to make our plans for the rest of the night, (usually where was the party going on) As I said a Catholic neighborhood, There were things going on that we kids had no idea of, for instance and we must go back a little to go forward, being a young Catholic meant Saturday mornings were devoted to learning the Catechism, Noah's Arc that sort of thing, for me, it was just more time hanging out with school friends. In time though the Saturday morning class attendance began to dwindle, One day I was offered a choice by my parents, continue CCD or stay home and do chores, (yard work, house work that sort of thing) Well since none of my friends were no longer involved in CCD my choice was chores, and that's what I did for years, till about that time of junior high school, that time of learning Darwin's evolution, and viewing "Inherit the Wind" again no biggie's. One day mom said that I was to renew my CCD classes, I was appalled, I was genuinely taken aback, I was a teen ager!, For years I had been free of responsibility toward Holy Trinity Church and the mental clutches of father Stan. My world, my freedom, all deflated, there goes my Monday nights. As I said though, there were things going on that we kids were clueless of. That dread night as I approached not Holy Trinity but Heskett Junior High, I was confused, delirious with anticipation, there was no escaping, no knowing what was to be expected inside that school. On the approach I recognized a few familiar faces, "good" I think to myself, I won't be in this totally alone.
There stands Father Stan to greet me, "Good evening Taylor, said the Father", I'm smiling, I nod in return, "Father", said I, I imagine this happening with all the other kids who have arrived ahead of me and those that fallow, none of us very sure of what's to come, we're teenagers, our lives are a bluff. I open the door to class, and there sits each and everyone of my friends, all the girls and boys from my school grade, looking no different from a few hours ago when I'd last seen them during regular classes, all with the same surprised look as me, none of us new whom to expect. What we knew, was that mom said we were going, period. Mom wanted it dad made it so, as I said we were clueless. Upon taking a seat, I could see physical relief in all my friends, Why?, Their fears were my fears, the unknown. They were relieved that they were not in this alone I guess or maybe they were just glad to see me who knows.
There are some things that are not debatable, in a Catholic neighborhood Conformation is one of them. I'll tell you this, Some of those thirteen year old kids had full beards and wore leather jackets to class, real tough guys, and the girls, well, what I'll say there is that I loved growing up in a promiscuous Catholic community.

I don't suffer mental trauma as a result of growing up Catholic, Philosophically without having lived through it, I wouldn't be who I am, and I like me.

Quote:
Ant:
I hope they dont remake it. Today's, uh.., people, would screw this classic up

I agree, perhaps for slightly different reasons though, Not to set myself off on a different rant but to me one set back we see in the states today is historical revisionism through the lens of political correctness, PC to me is as Mark Levin calls it " a form of soft tyranny" and the revisionism degrades progresses of the past by calling into question the character of past generations. In the US those who last knew true freedom had many dirty rolls to play and along the way they voluntarily gave up that freedom in the name of progress.

Last edited by Taylor on Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank Taylor for this post:
Cattleman, Harry Marks
Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:05 am
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next