• In total there are 30 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 30 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

How Forgiving Are You?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Why
Master Debater

How Forgiving Are You?

Unread post

Here's a question I've asked in a group before, and the responses are always fun:

Scenario:

You are happily married for many years. You have a nice home with nice things, nice cars, a couple of great kids who got through college and have nice jobs and families of their own. You live in a nice neighborhood in a nice town. You've both always worked, but your spouse is the primary caretaker of the finances and always has been. You know how much money you make, but the bills are always paid and money doesn't seem to be an issue. The closer you get to retirement, the more you wonder about making ends meet, but your spouse always assures you "don't worry honey, I have us covered" And you don't worry. You are sure that your spouse, being a very responsible and caring person, has made sure that your retirement years are going to be just as comfortable as the life you have built together so far.

Then one day (you knew this was coming).....your spouse has a.....confession to make. Keep in mind the house is paid for, the kids are grown and settled, and you have enjoyed a happy and comfortable life....

Your spouse tells you that in the years you have been married he (or she take your pick) has been secretly videotaping your intimate moments, both together and individually, and selling them on the internet, all traces of identity protected, but definitely very graphic. And this has paid for the house, sent the kids to college, and assured your retirement will be as comfortable as your life has been so far.

Unforgivable violation of trust....or great retirement plan??
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: How Forgiving Are You?

Unread post

Why wrote:Here's a question I've asked in a group before, and the responses are always fun:

Your spouse tells you that in the years you have been married he (or she take your pick) has been secretly videotaping your intimate moments, both together and individually, and selling them on the internet, all traces of identity protected, but definitely very graphic. And this has paid for the house, sent the kids to college, and assured your retirement will be as comfortable as your life has been so far.

Unforgivable violation of trust....or great retirement plan??
Ok...not sure how you found this out, but if you tell my wife I will be very upset with you.

DAMN...I thought I covered all the bases...
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
bibliophile_18
Master Debater

Unread post

Hmm....It's a little bit both. Seeing as the retirement plan paid off the house, the cars, sent the kids off to college, got money that makes it so much easier to live in the end....that's the great thing. However, since it involved the intimate moments, it's a violation of trust. Selling one or two for a bit of profit and knowing about it is one thing....but to do it for years and never know? That's....not so good.
Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

Unread post

Huh?! Interesting.

Between the desire and the spasm, between the potency and the existence, between the essence and the descent, falls the shadow. This is the way the world ends.

All secrets are deep. All secrets become dark. That's in the nature of secrets.

I guess what I'm trying to say is ... I don't know how I would react to that situation until I have experienced it. And, Oh my! I hope that day never comes.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Forgiveable violation of trust. If I were let in on the plan, I could have helped to make more money.

LOL at MR. P!

Bibliophile_18, shouldn't it be Bibliophile_19?
Trish
Experienced

Unread post

If this has been going on for years and has been profitable up until the kids have grown.... all I gotta say is this couple must've been pretty good looking and all their time in the bedroom must have been quite a show. :laugh:

That's a pretty big violation of trust though. Probably forgivable, but even not letting someone in on the retirement finances is an act of mistrust. That alone should send up red flags. Actually, I had an aunt and uncle who went through something similar. My aunt handled paying all the bills and kept the checkbook with her. Fast forward about 35 years and my uncle found out the hard way they had no savings and their credit was maxed because she was secretly giving money to a no-good, dead beat son of theirs who has never held down a job for more than 3 months his entire life. But they did end up working it out and they are still married.
Laser Harbor
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Whats done is done. If your identity is safe and it didnt hurt you because only you and your "significant other" know about it, how can you be upset knowing your going to have a good retirement and live an easy life. Man, If I was told that I would clearly make one to top off the rest and call it good.
The Ritzy

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book Nut

Unread post

My main thought after reading the scenario: "You couldn't have told me before? I would've had ideas to contribute to the vidoes! Our retirement would be even more cushy! Damn you."

;D

Otherwise, I'd be pretty upset at first. But with living a comfy life and everything, I can't say I'd be upset for too long. I'd get over it quick and start the move to a nice sunny place. =D <3

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”