Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:50 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Judge a book by its cover. 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Post Judge a book by its cover.
It is said you should never judge a book by its cover, but first impressions make the book in many cases. How affected are you by this first impression?

As a novelist, I try to intrigue with the cover. On my website I have created a tab showing the genesis of the idea, the art and the final product. I look forward to this discussion.

Greg
www.gregoryjsaunders.com

Last edited by gjswriter on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:50 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Perhaps the text should be pearlescent and/or red. What's the story about?

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:54 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
All Star Member

gjswriter wrote:

Quote:
first impressions make the book in many cases.

I'm not sure I would pick this book up if I saw it in the book store. It reminds me of ... an old Science Fiction novel.
This Island Earth by Raymond F. Jones, later made into a Sci-Fi movie by the same name.

I mean no offense. It's only my first reaction.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:38 pm
Profile Email YIM

Post Zahir, the one with the evil eye.
Interesting thought on the title color, I will take it to heart.

I started this book thinking I would use the chupacabra as the central theme, but I needed a spin. I didn't want to write about more traditional creatures or dieviant humans. In one of the chupacabra sightings the farmer involved called it a Zahir. That's what i used.

Oil exploration in the Amazon delves too deep and wakens the defenders, the Zahir. An exploration team goes missing and a rescue is organized. Deep in the Amazon no one gets out alive.

That's a brief description. I have received very good feedback on this one and will be converting it to a screen play this summer.

Thanks for asking,

Greg
www.gregoryjsaunders.com

Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:41 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

I may pick this book up and give it a go, but you have to stick around booktalk in case I want to discuss it!

Also, I think the creep needs some dirt on his face. Micro-textures or something to hide a bit of the artificial look. Maybe a pimple on the left cheek! :mrgreen:

Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:09 am

Post Thanks for the input.
That is exactly the type of input an author needs. And yes, I will be around here long term. I think this is a great site and have high hopes for introducing my work and getting more ideas from all the members.

Again, thanks. On my website is a tab with the concepts and finals of all my books if you care to take a look.

Greg
www.gregoryjsaunders.com

Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:25 am
Profile Email WWW
All Star Member

Quote:
Maybe a pimple on the left cheek!

:laugh2:

That is too funny!

You are on to something though. A little less artificial looking. But gjswriter has definitely got something.

Nice site BTW. You've peeked my interest, Gjs.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:26 am
Profile Email YIM

Post Thanks for the comments.
I am already working on the cover for my next book and will keep your input in mind because this one will be more challenging than the other four. In fact, i will end up doing modified covers for the already produced books when I do second editions.

Greg
www.gregoryjsaunders.com

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:56 pm
Profile Email WWW
All Star Member

You are fascinating and brilliant. I'm so glad you joined Booktalk.org

Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:18 pm
Profile Email YIM
Book Nut

Bronze Contributor

Based purely off the cover, I probably wouldn't read it. I don't know why. But that's just off seeing only the cover without reading the summary or the first few pages.

I tend to go based off the summary more than just the cover. I've been known to read books that have no cover art at all.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:36 am

Post Thanks for the input.
I haven't had a chance to get on in a while but I do appreciate everyone's insight. I have to admit, I do let the cover affect my judgment. Especially when I am making a decision on genera. I will gravitate to an attractive or intriguing cover and then read the back or the first few pages. Given that, I may never even give the other book a chance. One of my issues is that I do book reviews (Un-Paid) for readingnewmexico.com. This means that I get to do both, judge the book and the cover, I find that many times the cover does tell the tale; for better or worse.

Greg
www.gregoryjsaunders.com

Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:54 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Internet Sage

Gold Contributor 2

Post Hey
Hey gjswriter,
If you feel like giving a professional opinion of the cover of my essay I sure would appreciate it. Scroll down on the left side of BT's screen and there is a picture there. The title is A Cry From The Heart. Double click and it takes you to Amazon and you can see a larger image. I went to your site but your email (and BookTalk's) doesn't allow me to attach an image. Hope all is well with you and yours and welcome to this nice place we call BookTalk.org Lawrence

Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:21 pm
Profile Email

Post A Cry From The Heart.
Lawrence,

I tried to find the essay on Amazon. Not much luck. Send me a link or the pic to gjswriter@yahoo.com and I would be glad to take a look. As for a professional opinion... Well, I am not sure four books qualifies me, but we take what we can get. Good luck.

Greg

Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:44 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Internet Sage

Gold Contributor 2

Post thanks
go to my web site http://acryfromtheheart.com and you can see the cover and there is also a hypertext to amazon. Or...if you send me your land address via pm I'll send you a copy absolutely free. Much thanks. Lawrence

Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:24 pm
Profile Email

Post A Cry From The Heart.
I will check it out. I do have a question. On the books I sell on Amazon, or Lulu, or B&N, I make from 2 to 78 cents. Yet if I sell them on my own (My own company, printed for me and stocked) I get substantially more for each book, even though they are the same actual price in all places. Do you find this is true as well? I always try to push people to the authors website because of this.

P.S. I am taking this from a strict self-pub consideration.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:49 pm
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next