• In total there are 29 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 29 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

Roger Fenton's Crimean War photography

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Roger Fenton's Crimean War photography

Unread post

In another thread I suggested that one appropriate use for the new Arts forum would be the discussion of photography that we find online. Between that and the Errol Morris blog I linked to in the blog thread on obviousness, I'm developing a minor interest in the work of Roger Fenton, one of the early pioneers of photography.

See what you think. Here is a link to The Library of Congress collection of Fenton's Crimean war photography. Click on "View all images" to see the full collection. The landscapes are very stark, and the prints, naturally, have an antique air to them, but there's something evocative about the positioning of the figures and the choice of subject matter. (I'm also reminded of the portions of E.L. Doctorow's "The March" that dealt with a travelling photography laboratory.)

A little hint: You can get a better look by clicking on the link for uncompressed TIFF images provided on most pages.

Some early favorites: The tombs of the generals on Cathcart's hill; Captain Lord Balgonie, Grenadier Guards; General Bosquet giving orders to his staff; The sanitary commission; A Zouave; Officers of the 88th Regiment; Group of Croats; Lieutenant General Pennefather, C.B.; General view of Balaklava, the hospital on the right.
If this rule were always observed; if no man allowed any pursuit whatsoever to interfere with the tranquility of his domestic affections, Greece had not been enslaved, Caesar would have spared his country, America would have been discovered more gradually, and the empires of Mexico and Peru had not been destroyed. -- Mary Shelley, "Frankenstein; or The Modern Prometheus"

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”