Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:12 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
what is your favorite musical? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Getting Comfortable

Post what is your favorite musical?
my favorite is either rent or little shop of horrors.

The following user would like to thank vampire0x0master for this post:
lottebeertje
Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:29 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Graduate Student

Silver Contributor

The Phantom of the Opera! When I was 16, my goal in life was to play Christine Daae. :happy2:

Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:54 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Nut

Bronze Contributor

I've only seen adaptations of musicals, sadly enough. HOWEVER! I am going to see Rent sometime this month or next.

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:22 am
Upwardly Mobile

Post Re: what is your favorite musical?
Cabaret

"Someday, on your tombstone, there will be two dates - and nobody realizes that all that mattered to you was that small dash in between"

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
- Douglas Adams

Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:25 pm
Profile Email
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

I loved Wicked. One I would definitely like to see is the Phantom of the Opera. Anyone seen it? Was it great?

"And without joy life doesn't deserve life's name"
- Desiderius Erasmus

Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:15 am
Creative Writing Student

Little Shop of Horrors. But I still love South Pacific. (And Phantom, and Jesus Christ, Superstar . . .)

Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:03 am
Profile Email
Almost Comfortable

Too many!! Little Shop of Horrors, Rent, Phantom, Cats, Jesus Christ Superstar...do Disney musicals count too? If so, then The Little Mermaid. I love a good musical! Guys and Dolls. I could keep going, but I won't.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:22 am
Profile Email

Mark Cool wrote:
My Favorite musical is Singin' In The Rain directed by Stanley Donen. This was my first musical and i have watched i quite a few times.

I absolutely adored it! We have this wonderful little channel called TCM and they show all these great classics... I'd been wanting to see it for a long long time (Gene Kelly is amazing) and I was thoroughly happy when I saw it! What was your favourite number? (I really, really liked Moses Supposes. They are so absurdly in sync there, which is almost impossible and takes a lot of practising...)
Have you ever seen a live musical?

And wow, a lot of people seem to like Little Shop of Horrors. It's a really unknown musical here! At singing class we did Suddenly Seymour years ago...

- Desiderius Erasmus

Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:33 pm
Getting Comfortable

Gigi
Weary of the conventions of Parisian society, a rich playboy and a youthful courtesan-in-training enjoy a platonic friendship, but it doesn't stay that way for long.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:44 pm
Almost Comfortable

lottebeertje wrote:
Mark Cool wrote:

And wow, a lot of people seem to like Little Shop of Horrors. It's a really unknown musical here! At singing class we did Suddenly Seymour years ago...

I think Feed Me Seymour is a lot more fun to sing, although I've only sung along with the soundtrack.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:57 pm
Profile Email

ErnieBerla wrote:
lottebeertje wrote:
Mark Cool wrote:

I think Feed Me Seymour is a lot more fun to sing, although I've only sung along with the soundtrack.

It is, I guess, but we girls have to have some notes we can easily reach :lol:

- Desiderius Erasmus

Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:45 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

Wow. Favourite musicals. I don't even know where to begin. I suppose it depends on how you define 'favourite'. (or 'favorite'...whichever you prefer.) If you're defining it by the number of times you've seen it live, then my honest answer would have to be 'Wicked'. I've seen it once in New York, and then about five or six times in London. (Once with Idina Menzel, twice with Kerry Ellis, Once with Shuna, and once with Ashleigh Grey. Ashleigh Grey was deff. my favourite Elphaba.)

Other musicals that I enjoy are Rent, (although admittedly I've only seen the film - I wasn't lucky enough to see it in the West End.) I also enjoy Cats, which I saw in Woking, Joseph and the Technicolored Dreamcoat, Les Miserables, Chicago, and the Lion King. I'm hoping to see The Phantom of the Opera some time soon, perhaps as an Easter treat or maybe valentines day, if I can find a date.

Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:29 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Getting Comfortable

The Phantom of the Opera!!! (The West End production, not the film)

My favourite musical films:
Sweeny Todd - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Corpse Bride

Yes...i like Tim Burton, a bit...

Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:23 pm
Intern

Silver Contributor

On Broadway, I saw Rent and Titanic. Rent rocked. Titanic, well, sunk.

Off Broadway, I've seen Rent, Les Miserables, Titanic, and Wicked.

Of all of them, Wicked has been my favorite with Rent following in a close second.

On another note, has anyone seen Avenue Q? It combines muppets and live actors. It's very ... off color, but the soundtrack is hilarious. I want to see it the next time that it comes near.

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never say a common place thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..." ~ Jack Kerouac

Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:03 am
Almost Comfortable

I have seen Avenue Q and I thought I'd die laughing. Given where I saw it—the front row of the balcony at the Spreckles Theatre in San Diego—dying was a very real possibility. You slip on one of the steps down to your seat, and you won't stop until you're falling over the railing. It would take a lot to get my mind off the sense of vertigo I felt, but that musical certainly did it. ;)

Aside from Avenue Q, which is wickedly funny, my truly favorite musical would have to be Stephen Sondheim's Sunday in the Park with George. I am a major Sondheim fan, I have to admit, and also love A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, Company, Follies, A Little Night Music, Pacific Overtures, Sweeney Todd, Assassins, and Passion (which, as an opera buff, I'd really like to see in what I regard as its real native habitat: being performed as a chamber opera by a professional opera company). The only ones I'm not so keen on are Anyone Can Whistle and Merrily We Roll Along, and I haven't heard Frogs or Bounce/Road Show.

I also like Kander and Ebb's Chicago, Cabaret, and Sweet Charity. Sweet Charity was given, in one of the best performances I've ever seen, in a small, now-defunct experimental theatre called Sledgehammer Theatre.

I also like Lerner and Loewe's My Fair Lady, Rodger and Hammerstein's Carousel, and some others of that era.

Of the newer composers, I like Adam Guettel (Floyd Collins, The Light in the Piazza) and Duncan Sheik (Spring Awakening). I didn't like Rent the first time I saw it (at its world premiere at the La Jolla Playhouse, no less), but the score grew on me with repeated hearings.

I'm a big fan of Ragtime by Flaherty and Ahrens, though I've never seen it in a good performance, only in an staggeringly badly executed performance at the Starlight Bowl in San Diego. One of the quirks about the Starlight Bowl is that it's an outdoor amphitheatre that lies in the flight path to Lindbergh Field. In times past, they used to direct the actors to stop singing and freeze in mid-performance until the plane passed (using lights that were only seen backstage), but now they've taken to using microphones. In this performance, they were too cheap to put microphones on everyone, so some actors boomed while others could barely be heard. The sound board operator should have been fired for using the channels' volume slides to mute microphones. There are actual buttons that will do that, and the reason you use buttons is that if you use the volume slide, then there's a weird crescendo effect when people start speaking. It's like stopping a turntable with your hand and then letting it play.

The stage scenery was cheap, including plastic cut-outs of houses for the New Rochelle scenes. They might as well have had garden gnomes and pink flamingos for how tacky it looked. And the orchestra was cut beyond the bare bones, but nobody re-orchestrated the score so that it didn't sound thin. They just used the Broadway orchestration, so there were points where everything dropped out except a harp just vamping a rhythm because all the melody instruments were gone.

I thought I'd beat the crowd by leaving at the intermission, but half the theatre was emptying out at the same time. That's how bad it was.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:08 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next