• In total there are 28 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 28 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

Who is your favourite famous person??

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
princesscookie19
Experienced

Who is your favourite famous person??

Unread post

SO who do you like that is famous.. :| :wink:

Currently Reading - Daisy War Chain.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Who is your favourite famous person??

Unread post

Living person, right? This might be a little obscure when you don't live in the U.S., but I'm going to say Mitt Romney.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

@ princesscookie19 I kind of wish you had named your favorite, as that would have put in my mind where you’re going with the question.

Here goes...and the winner is...are you ready?...the envelope please:)... Thurgood Marshall (was this a living or dead famous person?) see what I mean about you setting an example by naming your favorite famous person?, But.. that is beside the point.
Marshall served as an associate justice to the Supreme Court of the United States, he was the first African American to do so, did you know that?.
My most favorite living person is ... building anticipation :-D ...the envelope please...another person that you are probably not familiar with :wink: ...and the winner is... Donn Pierce: author of an amazing story “Cool Hand Luke”

You seem like a smart person so I ask a favor of you :) Investigate both of my favorites and you’ll learn some amazing things.

Search Booktalk.org for Donn Pierce and you’ll find something that may interest you. As for Thurgood Marshall start with Wikipedia.

@ DWill...Mitt Romney ? :chatsmilies_com_92:
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Yeah, yeah, I know...you might not even think enough of the choice to rate it "quirky." That's fine, I can understand that. By tomorrow I'd probably throw out a different name. But I do see a genuine "profiles in courage" aspect to the Mormon from Utah, and in this time it's worth recognizing.

Great choice with Marshall. I'll have to look up Donn Pierce.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

You may recall DWill that I have admitted to having been in the libertarian camp. With that in mind and in the interest of an honest discussion, I voted for Romney in 2012. I kind of liked what he had to say about opening up the energy industry. I thought that there was a strong possibility of wider economic benefits to cheaper energy. Turns out I was wrong. When I think about Romney I see the sober guy in the room and at the time that seemed like a good thing. I just don’t see things that way now.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I voted for Obama both times. I know your anti-libertarian bent. I'm not sure where I'd place Romney on that spectrum. Too bad that he became most famous for his "47%" remark. Despite that statement, I don't think he lacks compassion. Now, your choice of Donn Pearce, who I looked up. What's that about? Granted Cool Hand was a great movie, but a safecracker?
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

princesscookie19 wrote:SO who do you like that is famous.. :| :wink:
Who do YOU like?
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Quote DWill: “Now your choice of Donn Pearce, who I looked up. What’s that about? Granted Cool Hand was a great movie, but a safe cracker?”.

When I read this I was like :P :clap: :lol: :up: :adore:

I did not pay any attention to the glass patio I was standing on, nor the humble glass abode behind.

I grew up around guys like that, what can I say. He’s interesting to me for reasons such as, he’s like the anti-beatnik, he’s the failed safe cracker who wanted to be the chain gang hero, he’s like the army sad sack who wanted to be the war hero, he’s like the guy who wants...

“to keep your head when all about you
are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too:!

(Kipling is a favorite of mine too)

But anyway, Pearce reminds me of lots of things, like when an artist could be an artist and not be canceled for politically incorrect behavior. His stories (only 3 published fictions) are of heroic but flawed characters, possibly for him there is an autobiographical undertone.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Considering that one may be 'famous' for everything from being a mass murderer to winning the Nobel Peace Prize. I would have to admit - I don't have one.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Hey Cattleman! .. just throw a name out there. It’s not like pulling a nose hair.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”