• In total there are 21 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Anyone Seen "Selma"?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Anyone Seen "Selma"?

Unread post

I wondered about reactions to this film, which has been praised, partly because I haven't seen it due to being put off by what I'd read about its portrayal of LBJ. I suppose I'm a stickler for movies claiming to report historical events staying with the facts we know. I don't buy the argument that it's okay for the filmmaker to use license with the facts. Many people will see these films and assume they're accurate.

I could be making too much of this reported controversy; that's why I'm asking what people thought. Reportedly the film paints Johnson as reluctant to support King. While he may have wanted King to give his administration more time to work things out before King moved on the Selma protest, once the protest had occurred and the police had clubbed and tear-gassed the peaceful protesters, LBJ joined the cause in his speech a few days later. It was electrifying to hear this southern president identify with the Negro cause and to end his speech with the words, "And we SHALL overcome!" King, in Alabama, was reported to have wept on hearing this.

The movie doesn't report what Johnson said, and if this results in viewers believing he wasn't a supporter of King, that would be too bad.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: Anyone Seen "Selma"?

Unread post

I'm still waiting for the movie where J Edgar Hoover parades around in a party frock :-D
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

sorry DWill, still haven't seen "Selma" but just watched "Interstellar" !!!!!!! Mister Christopher Nolan just keeps blowing me away, what a movie maker.

talk about edifying, Penelope would love it.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

should get around to watching Selma, Chomsky is slightly pissed (in his own mild mannered way) that everyone went to see american sniper and not selma :-D
Lesley_Vos
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

I've watched it recently. And I liked it: music is wonderful, actors are nice, the plot is good, too! I liked the trick with real-life photos in the end of the movie. Oh, yes... there was something in its... poster! Yes, it sounds childish and weird, but Selma's poster made me want to watch it)))

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”