• In total there are 17 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Supernatural is awesome

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Supernatural is awesome

Unread post

Supernatural is a show on CW network.

It is a road trip story about two brothers who travel back and forth across america looking for real supernatural events. They drive into all these different locations and find ghosts killing people, pagan gods conducting sacrifices, or urban legends come to life (hook man, bloody mary) and they destroy these evil forces using the specified means in the associated lore.

I plowed through the DVD's in no time flat.

If you are interested in horror/ghost stories, you should get into this show at once.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Supernatural is awesome

Unread post

Johnson, I wish I could enjoy stuff like that. You obviously don't believe in the supernatural, yet you are able to get into a show like "Supernatural" anyway. My kids liked Harry Potter, but I couldn't even enjoy that with them. I guess I feel that there is such amazing reality around, that it wastes my time to read about or watch paranormal or fantasy books/programs/movies.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Thanks Johnson. I might look into that. But first I'm looking into Lost. :lol: I have always liked supernatural stories a lot. I used to be into the x files back in it's heyday. I like supernatural fiction a lot as well, especially ghost stories and sci-fi, although I tend to gravitate more towards literary and nonfiction more and more these days.
-Geo
Question everything
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

I enjoy good storytelling, regardless of the subject matter.

The later seasons start to deal more heavily with demons and angels, and eventually lead to the apocalypse. Of course, none of this stirs a hair of belief in me, but they do make for interesting worlds to explore. Using supernatural structures you can speak on subjects from an oblique angle.

The same thing with "District 9" which was another peice of entertainment i recommended on this site. They use the aliens and their very "other" behavior and appearance to apply all kinds of oppression and mistreatment. It lets us view these things from a safe perspective. You begin to identify with some of the aliens, despite their being so "other" and many of them seemingly deserving of our contempt, but you start to feel that they are being very badly mistreated. Then you realize that we are doing this to ourselves right now. No aliens needed.

Aside from ghost hunting, there are interesting explorations of family dynamics in Supernatural, along with some very comedic episodes.

A few highlights.

They hunt a version of the Krampus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krampus

Crossroads bargains with the devil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Johnson_(musician)
Robert Johnson's story is featured in this episode.

zombies

the origin of halloween

a lucky rabit's foot that really works

Very entertaining stuff.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

I hope that won't stop you from getting a copy of my book when i get it published DWILL.
-Guillermo Del Torro

johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Geo,

Supernatural has a lot of the feel of the scary X-files episodes. They turn away from sci-fi horror, and stick more with superstitious horror though.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I agree with you Johnson, my daughter and I have been watching "Supernatural" for years. My husband is now hooked on it too. The show has been on for many years, and you would think they would have run out of ideas by now, but no, it gets more and more creative. I love that creepy angel with the trench coat. Worth checking out!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I'll have to check out the show.

Atheists and freethinkers can enjoy shows that focus on the supernatural and nutty themes. We have imaginations and enjoy good fiction just as much as the next person. My wife and I love the HBO special "True Blood," yet neither of us believes in vampires.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

I like true blood as well.

I am not a huge fan of Sookie's vamp boyfriend though, Bill, is it?

I think she would be better off with the northman, haha.

"I AINT NO FANG BANGER!"

That show deals with some interesting ideas as well. I enjoyed Goderick's stint with the christians.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Goderick was pretty cool.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”