• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

origins of feelings

#12: Jan. - Feb. 2004 (Non-Fiction)
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

origins of feelings

Unread post

While reading this book I was hoping to get some ideas on why feelings have evolved. In chapter 4 Damasio says, "When we try to reverse the engineering of evolution and discover the origin of feelings, it is legitimate to wonder if bearing witness to life within our minds is the reason feelings prevailed as a prominent feature of complex living beings". In this chapter Damasio seems to be saying that happiness signifies that physiologically our body is running smoothly, while sadness lets us know that things are in a state of physiological discord. Since discord can lead to disease and death, it would be wise for organisims to have feelings that let us know how life operations are running. Do you think that feelings evolved for this purpose? Do you have any other ideas on why feelings may have evolved?
CSflim

re: origins of feelings

Unread post

I would have to say that I agree with Damasio wholeheartedly on this. Just as a giraffe's neck evolved so it could get to the higher parts of the trees, and hence maintain its well being, feelings evolved to protect the creature from dangers in the environment. It avoids pain and seeks pleasure, which helps maintain its well-being.
ginof
Sophomore

Re: origins of feelings

Unread post

Tarav,this is actually one of the things I found least convincing in the book. he seems to say it has evolved because it has evolved. While the first reply (regarding the giraffe) has the idea of evolution correct, it is not as clear (to me) that non physical 'evolution' can not serve some other purpose than the perpetuation of the species. I agree that this is a reasonable conclusion, but it may not be the only conclusion and there doesn't seem to be any 'proof' at this point. For example, ancient greek texts seem to talk about emotions differently than we do today. While there are a number of possible explanations, one is that the emotion was not experienced the way it is today and therefore discussed differently. We discuss emotion as we do because our perception of emotion has 'evolved' over time.
Andonicus

Re: origins of feelings

Unread post

Doesn't Damasio make a distinction between emotions and feelings? Feelings, as I recall Damasio stating in chapter one, are a form of thought (and therefore, peripheral, fleeting, temporary), while emotions are more deeply connected to our physical well being. I bring this up because I think we have to be cognizant of how he uses language so that we're not muddled! He makes a distinction from the beginning and (judging by ginof's use of the word "emotions" and the fact that I haven't read past chapter three) he doesn't seem maintain that distinction. If he does, however, we should certainly acknowledge it.Ando

Return to “Looking For Spinoza: Joy, Sorrow, and the Feeling Brain - by Antonio Damasio”