• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

American Scientist Online - Interview with Shermer

#13: Mar. - April 2004 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

American Scientist Online - Interview with Shermer

Unread post

The following is a series of questions presented to Dr. Shermer, in an interview by American Scientist Online, and his corresponding responses... What books are you currently reading (or have you just finished reading) for your work or for pleasure? Consciousness: An Introduction, by Susan Blackmore; Consciousness: A Neurobiological Approach, by Christof Koch; The Bounty: The True Story of the Mutiny on the Bounty, by Caroline Alexander; and Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith, by Jon Krakauer Why did you choose them, and what do you think of them?These are work-related books. I review books for the Los Angeles Times, New York Times, Washington Post, Scientific American and Skeptic magazine, and I am reviewing the two books on consciousness for Scientific American. [EDITOR'S NOTE: Shermer has also reviewed for American Scientist: His essay on Matt Ridley's Genome appeared in the January
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: American Scientist Online - Interview with Shermer

Unread post

Of the top 10 recommendations voted on by members of the Skeptics Society...which ones have you guys read? 1. Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark, by Carl Sagan I've read this one as part of a BookTalk selected reading2. Why People Believe Weird Things, by Michael Shermer This one is sitting on my bookshelf calling out to me3. Flim Flam!: Psychics, ESP, Unicorns and Other Delusions, by James Randi Not yet, but Randi is one of my favorites4. Fads and Fallacies in the Name of Science, by Martin Gardner Never heard of it...but sounds interesting5. How to Think About Weird Things, by Theodore Schick and Lewis Vaughn Nope6. The Faith Healers, by James Randi Excellent book!7. How We Believe, by Michael Shermer Our current selection!8. The New Age: Notes of a Fringe Watcher, by Martin Gardner Nope...never heard of it9. The Mismeasure of Man, by Stephen Jay Gould Good stuff! Gould was brilliant and I've read just about all of his books.10. Voodoo Science: The Road From Foolishness to Fraud, by Robert L. Park Who is Robert Park? Nope, not this one either.Some of these books would make excellent BookTalk selections.Chris "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"

Return to “How We Believe: Science, Skepticism, and the Search for God - by Michael Shermer”