• In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

June 8th - Watch Venus cross the Sun

#14: May - June 2004 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

June 8th - Watch Venus cross the Sun

Unread post

Nobody alive has ever seen it before. Venus will transit the sun on June 8, 2004...and YOU can see it. Not very exciting, but NOBODY alive has EVER seen it before. Last time this happened was in 1882.The western part of the US won't see it at all, while the rest of the country will only see the last few hours of the transit starting at sunrise. People over in Europe, the Middle East and most of Asia and Africa will get the best show, so those BookTalk members over there should let us know how it looked!Chris "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: June 8th - Watch Venus cross the Sun

Unread post

Next transit will be in June of 2012...by the way.Chris "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
ginof
Sophomore

Transit of Venus

Unread post

I was in Morocco for this past transit. We looked again and again for it - (Wearing Sunglasses and using multiple photographic negatives to shield my eyes). Unfortunately, I couldn't see it. I was really bummed and expected it to be visible to the naked eye.Very disappointing. I hope to do better next time!

Return to “Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space - by Carl Sagan”