• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

10 Reasons We Need Trees

#19: Apr. - June 2005 (Non-Fiction)
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

10 Reasons We Need Trees

Unread post

10 Reasons We Need Trees or Why Deforestation is Scary:1. for timber products(paper, furniture)2. for non-timber products(rope, medicines)3. for recreational sites4. air filtration through removal or carbon monoxide5. sink for carbon which keeps global warming at bay6. transpiration of water to the atmosphere which increases rainfall and prevents desertification7. water retention in soil8. prevention of land erosion9. nutrient suppliers to land and sea10. habitat providers to living things*I started writing this list down for myself, thinking it would be nice to have at hand for discussions. Then, I thought that others may want to have it too. So here it is! I have paraphrased p 469 of Diamond's Collapse to make the list.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: 10 Reasons We Need Trees

Unread post

You might also add -- 11. Shade, which creates a zone of intermediate temperature
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

12: To carve our sweethearts initials on to show our love for them?Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Most sweethearts are carving their initials into each other these days.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

True. Cutting.My niece is going through a bad situation with this now. She has some big issues.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
marti1900

Unread post

For scenic beauty and landscape balance.Marti in Mexico

Return to “Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed - by Jared Diamond”