• In total there are 9 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Ch. 10 - The Best Years of Our Lives

#20: July - Sept. 2005 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Ch. 10 - The Best Years of Our Lives

Unread post

This thread is for discussing Ch. 10 - The Best Years of Our Lives. You can post within this framework or create your own threads.
ginof
Sophomore

Re: Ch. 10 - The Best Years of Our Lives

Unread post

I'm looking for some help here: p306 Quote:in large measure as a result of the Warren Court's desisions broadening the scope of the first amendment. Does anyone have any context for what exactly Jacoby is referring too? Was there additional speach that was added to the protection of the first amendment? Just looking for some facts....
ginof
Sophomore

Unread post

(This message was left blank) Edited by: ginof at: 9/15/05 1:10 am
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

GinoWhen I get to 306 I'll try to answer that question. No promises - but I'll do my best to figure out what she refers to.As I'm moving through the chapter I'm seeing one thing after another on which I should comment. A few of them will be addressed below.First of all, up until recently I've been rather impressed with how our Supreme Court has handled things. Under Bush we're going to see some changes - this has me concerned.Hugo Black had said:Quote:The First Amendment has erected a wall between church and state. That wall must be kept high and impregnable.The wall seems to be crumbling these days. I'm a registered Republican, but the next presidential election may have me reconsidering this political stance. Conservatives have moved too far to the right.This book has made me aware of so much that I had never even considered previously. Such as the question of whether or not tax dollars should be used to bus kids to religious schools. I suppose I agree with the Supreme Court's ruling that transportation doesn't violate the separation of state and church since the tax dollars aren't directly benefiting the religious schools. As I said...in the past the court has made sound decisions. But what will happen as we have more conservatives filling vacancies? This frightens me.Chris
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Holy smokes I liked Justice Hugo Black! Read his words on page 294 and 295. Amazingly enough this man was active in the KKK at one point. I found the below info on Black and thought I would share it here.Hugo Black was born in Clay County, Alabama, on 27th February, 1886. After graduating from the University of Alabama in 1906 he practiced law in Birmingham. A member of the Democratic Party, Black was elected to the Senate in 1926. A strong supporter of President Franklin D. Roosevelt and his New Deal policies he was involved in the campaign for the Tennessee Valley Authority. In 1937 Black was appointed to the Supreme Court. Members of the Republican Party in Congress objected because of his well-known support for the New Deal and it was claimed that Roosevelt was attempting to get a majority of justices who would not veto his legislation. Progressives in the Democratic Party were also uneasy about the appointment as Black had been for a long-time a member of the Ku Klux Klan. As Republicans suspected, Black joined those on the Supreme Court who regarded Roosevelt's desire for increased federal powers over the economy as constitutional. However, he showed that he had clearly renounced his previous racial views and became a strong supporter of individual civil rights. After the Second World War Black was clearly associated with the group of liberals on the Supreme Court that included Felix Frankfurter (1939-1962), William Douglas (1939-1975), Frank Murphy (1940-1949) and Thurgood Marshall (1967-1991). Over the years Black argued against mandatory school prayers and the need for the availability of legal counsel for suspected criminals. He also supported the right of newspapers such as the New York Times to expose the secret policies of Richard Nixon. Hugo Black died on 25th September, 1971. And Wikipedia says...Hugo LaFayette Black (February 27, 1886

Return to “Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism - by Susan Jacoby”