Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:36 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Fiction Suggestions needed for our Nov. & Dec. Fiction Discussion 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post Fiction Suggestions needed for our Nov. & Dec. Fiction D

What would you like to read as a group in November and December? Please post more than just a book title if you would really like your suggestions to be considered. Tell us about the book, whether in your own words or a copied and pasted book review. And most importantly give us a link to where we can research your book suggestion on Amazon.com.

If you are a brand new member you should start posting on the forums. We tend to not take book suggestions from members with less than 25 posts as there is very little chance of those new members actually sticking around to discuss the winning book. We know this from 8 years of experience. So if you're new to BookTalk.org and really plan to participate in the book discussion tell us so. Say something so that we know you aren't simply plugging your own book or your clients book or maybe a friends book.

After you have suggested a book or two please take a few minutes and look at the book suggestions your fellow members have made. Are any appealing to you? Which ones would you read? Which ones don't you like? Please give us feedback so we know the probability of any particular book being a good discussion book. The more positive comments on a book that has been suggested the higher the chance you'll see it on the book poll.

Once we have a handful of books suggested we'll narrow the pile to just three books. Those three books will be placed on a poll and everyone with 25 or more posts on the forums will be allowed to vote. So again, if you're new start posting on the forums. Get involved in the various discussions happening right now. We have to believe you are going to stick around or we won't accept your suggestions or book poll votes.

So what fiction book would you like to read next?

Last edited by Chris OConnor on Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:44 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genius

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sourc ... stle&meta=

Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:00 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genius

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Age_of_Innocence

Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:01 pm
Genius

http://theshackbook.com/

Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:03 pm
Genius

Those are ones I've read this year and enjoyed.

This one, I'm about 1/4 way through . . .

The Lions of Al-Rasson - Guy Gavriel

http://www.brightweavings.com/books/lions.htm

Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:05 pm
Genius

(ok - cheated - I've read it through 3 times this year! be glad to do it again)

Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:07 pm

Platinum Contributor

To redeem myself for my error: I hereby nominate William Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury to be a Booktalk fiction selection.

Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:16 pm

Platinum Contributor

That's a really entertaining book. The author also spoke at the National Book Festival. But it is a memoir, and as such occupies that in-between land between fiction and nonfiction.

Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:19 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Getting Comfortable

Please not Olive Kitteridge! I gave up on that one! And I read incessantly....over 40+ books so far this year and that is the only one I gave up on. :shock:

Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:55 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

What would you like to read as a group in November and December? Please post more than just a book title if you would really like your suggestions to be considered. Tell us about the book, whether in your own words or a copied and pasted book review. And most importantly give us a link to where we can research your book suggestion on Amazon.com.

If you are a brand new member you should start posting on the forums. We tend to not take book suggestions from members with less than 25 posts as there is very little chance of those new members actually sticking around to discuss the winning book. We know this from 8 years of experience. So if you're new to BookTalk.org and really plan to participate in the book discussion tell us so. Say something so that we know you aren't simply plugging your own book or your clients book or maybe a friends book.

After you have suggested a book or two please take a few minutes and look at the book suggestions your fellow members have made. Are any appealing to you? Which ones would you read? Which ones don't you like? Please give us feedback so we know the probability of any particular book being a good discussion book. The more positive comments on a book that has been suggested the higher the chance you'll see it on the book poll.

Once we have a handful of books suggested we'll narrow the pile to just three books. Those three books will be placed on a poll and everyone with 25 or more posts on the forums will be allowed to vote. So again, if you're new start posting on the forums. Get involved in the various discussions happening right now. We have to believe you are going to stick around or we won't accept your suggestions or book poll votes.

So what fiction book would you like to read next?

Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:24 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

Post Fiction recomendation
I would like to read "The Sound and the Fury" by William Faulkner.

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Fury-Correc ... 0679732241

Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:26 pm
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

I'll read The Sound and the Fury too. Also on my short list, Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales.

http://www.amazon.com/Canterbury-Tales- ... 706&sr=1-2

Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:00 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

Post Alice in Wonderland
Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll is my suggestion. Although simple in style and very easy and amusing to read, it is a biting satire, and has been the source for evolutionary theory (running as fast as you can to stay in one place) and for philosophy (eg the red and blue pills in The Matrix) and mathematics (logic of words). Many of the characters are very well known in popular culture, and their satirical intent is worth exploring.

Wikipedia page is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice%27s_ ... Wonderland

It will be a feature Disney film in 2010 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_W ... 10_film%29

Full text and pictures are readily available on the internet. A range of sources linked at the wiki include http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/11

An excellent illustrated version with extensive background is at http://www.the-office.com/bedtime-story ... ground.htm

Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:19 pm
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

We can bypass the actual polling process if a bunch of you can decide on a book that you'd like to read as a group. Today is the 7th of October and I'm about to leave town till the 12th.

This suggestion thread really isn't ready for a poll. We don't have enough suggestions or feedback yet. It would be nice to see a book chosen by the 13th when I get back in town. Of course I will have my laptop so don't be disappointed if you see me online. :shock:

Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:04 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

Post fiction suggestion
Thanks a lot Geo, now I'm torn. I've always wanted to read "The Canterbury Tales".

I have to say, I am appreciating the older, classic suggestions. If I could be so bold, I would like to see the chosen book to be of this class.

Sons and Lovers
D.H. Lawrence
Quote:

Sons and Lovers was the first modern portrayal of a phenomenon that later, thanks to Freud, became easily recognizable as the Oedipus complex. Never was a son more indentured to his mother's love and full of hatred for his father than Paul Morel, D.H. Lawrence's young protagonist. Never, that is, except perhaps Lawrence himself. In his 1913 novel he grappled with the discordant loves that haunted him all his life--for his spiritual childhood sweetheart, here called Miriam, and for his mother, whom he transformed into Mrs. Morel. It is, by Lawrence's own account, a book aimed at depicting this woman's grasp: "as her sons grow up she selects them as lovers--first the eldest, then the second. These sons are urged into life by their reciprocal love of their mother--urged on and on. But when they come to manhood, they can't love, because their mother is the strongest power in their lives."

Quote:
Sons and Lovers is one of the landmark novels of the twentieth century. When it appeared in 1913, it was immediately recognized as the first great modern restatement of the oedipal drama, and it is now widely considered the major work of D. H. Lawrence's early period. This intensely autobiographical novel recounts the story of Paul Morel, a young artist growing to manhood in a British working-class family rife with conflict. The author's vivid evocation of the all-consuming nature of possessive love and sexual attraction makes this one of his most powerful novels.

http://www.amazon.com/Sons-Lovers-Moder ... 587&sr=1-1

Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:26 am
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next