• In total there are 16 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 16 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Dec. & Jan. FICTION Official Poll

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Dec. & Jan. FICTION Official Poll

Unread post

Dec. & Jan. FICTION Official PollPlease take the following poll as soon as possible. Either book would make for a great discussion, so please don't "hold off" to see how other people vote. This poll will be taken down on Sunday, November 13, 2006.I'm really hoping that many of you will purchase, read and discuss the winning book. Again, adding fiction is good for BookTalk, and I'm hoping you feel that participating in this first fiction discussion will be rewarding in many ways. I thank you all in advance for helping me with this new venture. Our two choices are as follows...The March: A NovelFrom Publishers WeeklySherman's march through Georgia and the Carolinas produced hundreds of thousands of deaths and untold collateral damage. In this powerful novel, Doctorow gets deep inside the pillage, cruelty and destruction
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: Dec. & Jan. FICTION Official Poll

Unread post

Everyone needs to tell us what they voted for or the vote will not count. As all of you know you need to have 10 total posts on our forums before you are permitted to cast a vote in any book poll. I voted for The March, but will read and participate no matter which book wins.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

I voted for "Memories of My Melancholy Whores". Not that I would mind reading "The March" since it's been a while since I've read anything by E.L. Doctorow, but I'd rather start our fictions readings off with something a bit shorter.
raven of missouri

Unread post

I voted for Memories of My Melancholy Whores. It sounded interesting... In Love and Reason,Christian L. Ambrose
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

raven of missouriYou haven't been around much lately. Is it the fiction that is brining you back to the community? I'm trying to figure out how people are reacting to us adding fiction.Chris
pctacitus

Unread post

I voted for The March. "...the great events in life come from the books, rather than the people, one comes across." - Robert D. Kaplan, Mediterranean Winter: the Pleasures of History and Landscape in Tunisia, Sicily, Dalmatia, and Greece
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Anyone else?
pctacitus

Unread post

Give it time Chris. Most people will not see this poll exists until this weekend. "...the great events in life come from the books, rather than the people, one comes across." - Robert D. Kaplan, Mediterranean Winter: the Pleasures of History and Landscape in Tunisia, Sicily, Dalmatia, and Greece
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

The March. Heard an interview with the author about the book. Sherman lost a son during the war and at one point finds out an opposing general also lost a son by the same name in the war. Sherman writes a letter to the his opponent using the lyrical language we've heard from letters in Ken Burns' documentary. Doctorow made up the letter, but claimed Sherman was capable of that sort of language. Well done, sounds interesting.As to the other book, my wife belongs to a "real world" book club where folks actually meet in person every month to discuss a book. They selected "100 years of Solitude" by Marquez. Let's just say only one member of the club was able to finish that book. Heh, just noticed Schoonover's review of 100 years of Solitude. Edited by: LanDroid at: 11/11/05 11:05 pm
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Again, your vote will only count if we know your name and what you voted for.

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”