• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Fiction Book Suggestions Wanted: Aug. & Sept. 2009

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Now is the time for sharing your fiction book suggestions. What would you like to read, as a group, for our August and September 2009 fiction book discussion?

1. Suggest only a few books
2. Tell us why you are suggesting each book
3. Provide a description or review of each book suggestion
4. Provide a link to where we can learn more about your book suggestions, such as to Amazon.com.
Last edited by Chris OConnor on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

"Oryx and Crake" Margaret Atwood

From Publishers Weekly
Atwood has visited the future before, in her dystopian novel, The Handmaid's Tale. In her latest, the future is even bleaker. The triple whammy of runaway social inequality, genetic technology and catastrophic climate change, has finally culminated in some apocalyptic event. As Jimmy, apparently the last human being on earth, makes his way back to the RejoovenEsencecompound for supplies, the reader is transported backwards toward that cataclysmic event, its full dimensions gradually revealed. Jimmy grew up in a world split between corporate compounds (gated communities metastasized into city-states) and pleeblands (unsafe, populous and polluted urban centers). His best friend was "Crake," the name originally his handle in an interactive Net game, Extinctathon. Even Jimmy's mother-who ran off and joined an ecology guerrilla group when Jimmy was an adolescent-respected Crake, already a budding genius. The two friends first encountered Oryx on the Net; she was the eight-year-old star of a pedophilic film on a site called HottTotts. Oryx's story is a counterpoint to Jimmy and Crake's affluent adolescence. She was sold by her Southeast Asian parents, taken to the city and eventually made into a sex "pixie" in some distant country. Jimmy meets Oryx much later-after college, after Crake gets Jimmy a job with ReJoovenEsence. Crake is designing the Crakers-a new, multicolored placid race of human beings, smelling vaguely of citron. He's procured Oryx to be his personal assistant. She teaches the Crakers how to cope in the world and goes out on secret missions. The mystery on which this riveting, disturbing tale hinges is how Crake and Oryx and civilization vanished, and how Jimmy-who also calls himself "the Snowman," after that other rare, hunted specimen, the Abominable Snowman-survived. Chesterton once wrote of the "thousand romances that lie secreted in The Origin of Species." Atwood has extracted one of the most hair-raising of them, and one of the most brilliant.
http://www.amazon.com/Oryx-Crake-Margar ... 0385721676

"What is the What"
Dave Eggers

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Valentino Achak Deng, real-life hero of this engrossing epic, was a refugee from the Sudanese civil war-the bloodbath before the current Darfur bloodbath-of the 1980s and 90s. In this fictionalized memoir, Eggers (A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius) makes him an icon of globalization. Separated from his family when Arab militia destroy his village, Valentino joins thousands of other "Lost Boys," beset by starvation, thirst and man-eating lions on their march to squalid refugee camps in Ethiopia and Kenya, where Valentino pieces together a new life. He eventually reaches America, but finds his quest for safety, community and fulfillment in many ways even more difficult there than in the camps: he recalls, for instance, being robbed, beaten and held captive in his Atlanta apartment. Eggers's limpid prose gives Valentino an unaffected, compelling voice and makes his narrative by turns harrowing, funny, bleak and lyrical. The result is a horrific account of the Sudanese tragedy, but also an emblematic saga of modernity-of the search for home and self in a world of unending upheaval.

http://www.amazon.com/What-Vintage-Dave ... /ref=sr_1_ 1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246377649&sr=1-1
Krysondra

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Unread post

House of Leaves ~ Mark Z. Danielewski

The Modern Word Book Review: (Spoilers included in the review)
Ruch wrote:That a review of House of Leaves should start off with metaphors and comparisons is not to take away from its breathless sense of invention. Big, bold, beautiful and arrogant, a near-reckless energy hums from every page -- in short, the exact kind of book destined to become an instant cult classic. This is a book that invites comparisons, a vast bibliovore swallowing up its predecessors and digesting them in its rumbling bowels, using influence as fuel, reference as bloodstream, and textuality itself as a skeletal system. It is insufferably postmodern, maddeningly hip, and utterly in love with itself; and like a Boardwalk funhouse, it's filled with shameless tricks, distorted mirrors, and not a few genuine shocks. Oh yes, Mark Z. Danielewski has produced one hell of an ambitious first novel; and one that succeeds on a surprising number of levels.
Amazon
Publisher's Weekly wrote:Danielewski's eccentric and sometimes brilliant debut novel is really two novels, hooked together by the Nabokovian trick of running one narrative in footnotes to the other. One-the horror story-is a tour-de-force. Zampano, a blind Angelino recluse, dies, leaving behind the notes to a manuscript that's an account of a film called The Navidson Report. In the Report, Pulitzer Prize-winning news photographer Will Navidson and his girlfriend move with their two children to a house in an unnamed Virginia town in an attempt to save their relationship. One day, Will discovers that the interior of the house measures more than its exterior. More ominously, a closet appears, then a hallway. Out of this intellectual paradox, Danielewski constructs a viscerally frightening experience. Will contacts a number of people, including explorer Holloway Roberts, who mounts an expedition with his two-man crew. They discover a vast stairway and countless halls. The whole structure occasionally groans, and the space reconfigures, driving Holloway into a murderous frenzy. The story of the house is stitched together from disparate accounts, until the experience becomes somewhat like stumbling into Borges's Library of Babel. This potentially cumbersome device actually enhances the horror of the tale, rather than distracting from it. Less successful, however, is the second story unfolding in footnotes, that of the manuscript's editor, (and the novel's narrator), Johnny Truant. Johnny, who discovered Zampano's body and took his papers, works in a tattoo parlor. He tracks down and beds most of the women who assisted Zampano in preparing his manuscript. But soon Johnny is crippled by panic attacks, bringing him close to psychosis. In the Truant sections, Danielewski attempts an Infinite Jest-like feat of ventriloquism, but where Wallace is a master of voices, Danielewski is not. His strength is parodying a certain academic tone and harnessing that to pop culture tropes. Nevertheless, the novel is a surreal palimpsest of terror and erudition, surely destined for cult status.
"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never say a common place thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..." ~ Jack Kerouac
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Argonautica

Unread post

Argonautica by Apollonius

Full Text: http://omacl.org/Argonautica/

Information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argonautica
The Argonautica (Greek: Ἀργοναυτικά) is a Greek epic poem written by Apollonius Rhodius in the 3rd century BCE. The only surviving Hellenistic epic, the Argonautica tells the myth of the voyage of Jason and the Argonauts to retrieve the Golden Fleece from the mythical land of Colchis. Another, much less-known Argonautica, using the same body of myth, was composed by Valerius Flaccus during the time of Vespasian.

In the first book, the ship Argo is built and a crew of around fifty heroes is assembled in response to an oracle received by King Pelias. Led by Jason, the heroes include Heracles and his companion Hylas, Castor and Pollux (the Dioscuri: sons of Tyndareus and brothers of Helen and Clytemnestra), Orpheus, Meleager, Zetes and Calais (sons of Boreas), Peleus (father of Achilles), Laertes (supposed father of Odysseus), Telamon (father of Ajax), and the ship's builder, Argos. Their goal is to travel to Colchis and to obtain the Golden Fleece. After Jason suggests the election of a leader, Hercules (Heracles) recommends Jason himself, and the heroes agree.

Setting sail from the eastern coast of Thessaly, the Argonauts first reach Lemnos, where the women, led by their Queen Hypsipyle, have murdered all of their husbands. Omitting the murder from her story, Hypsipyle convinces the men (except for Hercules) to breed with the women in order to repopulate the island. ...
Spoiler
In the last book, Medea offers to put the dragon guarding the fleece to sleep in exchange for the Argonauts taking her aboard their ship and away from the father she has betrayed. Jason agrees, promising again to marry her, and she uses her skill with drugs to neutralize the dragon. Departing with the Golden Fleece, the Argo is pursued by Aietes and by Medea’s older brother Absyrtus. Jason proposes to leave Medea to Artemis, protector of virgins, an idea which causes an enraged Medea to threaten setting fire to the ships until Jason explains she is the bait in a trap set out for Absyrtus; the trap works, and Absyrtus is ambushed and killed by Jason, causing the Colchians to scatter.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

"House of Leaves"

This one sounds good. I like the horror genre, but there seems to be a lot more going on with it too. Very interesting, great sugestion!
Narshkite

A few suggestions

Unread post

I am new here, so I apologize if these have already been books of the month.

First, What is the What by Dave Eggers. I am half way through the book now, and am stunned by its power. This book is funny and tragic, edifying and appaling. Best read in ages. http://www.amazon.com/What-Vintage-Dave ... 843&sr=8-1

I would also be interested in The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. http://www.amazon.com/Brief-Wondrous-Li ... 255&sr=1-1
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Narshkite wrote:
First, What is the What by Dave Eggers. I am half way through the book now, and am stunned by its power. This book is funny and tragic, edifying and appaling. Best read in ages.
Thank you Narshkite for your impressions on this book. I am so looking forward to reading it. I do believe it would generate a great discussion, and have put off reading it until I have found someone else to share it with.

"Oryx and Crake" Margaret Atwood
I am almost finished reading this book, and I did put it up as a sugesstion for the next fiction pick. However, after getting deeper into the book, I have found that it has gone quite flat. Great start, great potential, but I feel it has desinagrated, very disapointed. I feel embarased, I nominate a book, then criticize it, but, I'm just being honest.

"The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Diaz, I have read this, I hope people check out the link you provided Narshkite. I think this is a good suggestion. Kinda reminded me of "Catcher in the Rye", would be interesting if anyone else saw simularities as well. I bonded with Oscar Wao, very compelling character.

"Argonautica"by Apollonius; love the mythology theme, but sorry, can't do another epic poem. Read "Iliad" and "Devine Comedy", these satisfy my "epic poem" requirements for the rest of my life. But, good sugesstion after "American Gods".
Aussie_Lifter
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Life: A User's Manual - Georges Perec

I think this would be a great book for discussion because there are so many facets to it. Also, it's totally different to the last few books you've had on here.

Paul Auster - NY Times:

"Georges Perec died in 1982 at the age of 46, leaving behind a dozen books and a brilliant reputation. In the words of Italo Calvino, he was ''one of the most singular literary personalities in the world, a writer who resembled absolutely no one else.'' It has taken a while for us to catch on, but now that his major work - ''Life: A User's Manual'' (1978) - has at last been translated into English it will be impossible for us to think of contemporary French writing in the same way again.

To read Georges Perec one must be ready to abandon oneself to a spirit of play. His books are studded with intellectual traps, allusions and secret systems, and if they are not necessarily profound (in the sense that Tolstoy and Mann are profound), they are prodigiously entertaining (in the sense that Lewis Carroll and Laurence Sterne are entertaining).

Those who have read a great deal will no doubt recognize passages that quote directly or indirectly from other writers - Kafka, Agatha Christie, Melville, Freud, Rabelais, Nabokov, Jules Verne and a host of others.

What draws one into this book is not Perec's cleverness, but the deftness and clarity of his style."

Complete NY Times Review:
http://www.nytimes.com/1987/11/15/books ... llies.html

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Users-Manual ... 0879237511
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Fiction recomendation

Unread post

Life: A User's Manual - Georges Perec

My favorite so far, great recomendation.

From Publishers Weekly
Though Perec (1936-1982) is "experimental" in the tradition of Joyce and Nabokov, his work is rich with word games and acrostics that reveal the secret life of language this euphoric novel, winner of the Prix Medicis, will enchant a range of readers.
In the tradition of Joyce and Nabokov, word games, acrostics that reveal the secret life of language, enchanting.

What can be better than that?

Winner for me!
Aussie_Lifter
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Suzanne:

That's funny, I just changed the quotes so my suggestion would be more cohesive.

:laugh:

Krysondra:

I started reading House of Leaves a few years ago and it is strange.
It actually messed with my head for a few hours, it didn't help that I read on a train at night before walking home.

Something that powerful, needs to be read and analysed, though.

:laugh:

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”