• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Official Poll - Dec. 2008 & Jan. 2009 Fiction Book

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Official Poll - Dec. 2008 & Jan. 2009 Fiction Book

Unread post

[align=center]Official Poll

Dec. 2008 & Jan. 2009 Fiction Book[/align]

This poll closes at midnight (Eastern) on Thursday, November 27, 2008.

Help us select our next fiction book by participating in this poll. You must have at least 25 total posts on our forums to vote so please don't cast a vote if you're not yet qualified. It doesn't take much time or energy to get up to 25 total posts.

Everyone is entitled to cast a total of 3 votes and these 3 votes can be distributed however the voter deems appropriate. Assign all 3 votes to just one of the book choice or break up the 3 votes based on your interest level in each book. If you don't assign all 3 votes we will assume you meant to assign all 3 of your votes to whatever book you picked. Actually, I will assume you didn't read these instructions. :hmm:

There are 3 total choices on this poll. All were suggested by members. Your choices are as follows:

Drum roll please...
Last edited by Chris OConnor on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Book 1: Anna Karenina
by Leo Tolstoy
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/014303 ... 0143035002

Product Description
Anna Karenina tells of the doomed love affair between the sensuous and rebellious Anna and the dashing officer, Count Vronsky. Tragedy unfolds as Anna rejects her passionless marriage and must endure the hypocrisies of society. Set against a vast and richly textured canvas of nineteenth-century Russia, the novel's seven major characters create a dynamic imbalance, playing out the contrasts of city and country life and all the variations on love and family happiness. While previous versions have softened the robust, and sometimes shocking, quality of Tolstoy's writing, Pevear and Volokhonsky have produced a translation true to his powerful voice. This award-winning team's authoritative edition also includes an illuminating introduction and explanatory notes. Beautiful, vigorous, and eminently readable, this Anna Karenina will be the definitive text for generations to come.

Book 2: Dead Souls: A Novel
by Nikolai Gogol
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067977 ... 0679776443

Amazon.com Review
A socially adept newcomer fluidly inserts himself into an unnamed Russian town, conquering first the drinkers, then the dignitaries. All find him amiable, estimable, agreeable. But what exactly is Pavel Ivanovich Chichikov up to?--something that will soon throw the town "into utter perplexity."

After more than a week of entertainment and "passing the time, as they say, very pleasantly," he gets down to business--heading off to call on some landowners. More pleasantries ensue before Chichikov reveals his bizarre plan. He'd like to buy the souls of peasants who have died since the last census. The first landowner looks carefully to see if he's mad, but spots no outward signs. In fact, the scheme is innovative but by no means bonkers. Even though Chichikov will be taxed on the supposed serfs, he will be able to count them as his property and gain the reputation of a gentleman owner. His first victim is happy to give up his souls for free--less tax burden for him. The second, however, knows Chichikov must be up to something, and the third has his servants rough him up. Nonetheless, he prospers.

Dead Souls is a feverish anatomy of Russian society (the book was first published in 1842) and human wiles. Its author tosses off thousands of sublime epigrams--including, "However stupid a fool's words may be, they are sometimes enough to confound an intelligent man," and is equally adept at yearning satire: "Where is he," Gogol interrupts the action, "who, in the native tongue of our Russian soul, could speak to us this all-powerful word: forward? who, knowing all the forces and qualities, and all the depths of our nature, could, by one magic gesture, point the Russian man towards a lofty life?" Flannery O'Connor, another writer of dark genius, declared Gogol "necessary along with the light." Though he was hardly the first to envision property as theft, his blend of comic, fantastic moralism is sui generis.

Book 3: The Secret Garden
by Frances Hodgson Burnett
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/045152 ... 0451528832

The Secret Garden, written by Frances Hodgson Burnett, is a charming book about a girl named Mary Lennox. She is a spoiled and sickly child who lives in India. When her parents die because of a cholera epidemic, she moves to Misselthwaite Manor to live with her rich uncle in England. Things are a definite change for her. Slowly she becomes stronger and starts to take an interest in the outdoors. She meets all sorts of people like Martha, Dickon, and Colin. Martha is a maid on the grounds who has taken a fancy to Mary, and Dickon is her brother. Dickon is quite an unusual fellow. He possesses the ability to talk to animals and is able to grow anything with a little bit of soil. Colin, who you will meet later in the story, is a child who has basically given up the will to live, believing he is doomed to be a hunchback like his father. Strong-willed Mary reprimands him and takes matters into her own hands. Mary has all kinds of adventures with strange sounds at night, funny accents, and a locked garden. The Secret Garden is a wonderful book about friendship, determination, and perseverence.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

My votes:

Book 1: Anna Karenina - 2 votes
Book 3: The Secret Garden - 1 vote
Raving Lunatic
All Star Member

Vote

Unread post

I would like to cast all three votes for Secret Garden
If you obey all of the rules, you miss all of the fun.
--Katherine Hepburn
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

Anna Karenina - 3 votes
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

fiction votes

Unread post

3 votes for Anna Karenina
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Where are all the votes?

Ashleigh, MRK, GentleReader9, bohemian_girl, lorifog (almost enough posts to vote), President Camacho, etc... You guys all suggested books or expressed an interest in one of the books currently on this poll that were suggested by other members, but the poll is almost over and you have yet to vote.

Anyone else wanting to vote?
bohemian_girl
Book Nut

Unread post

Sorry, I haven't been able to get on here for awhile.
I put my votes toward Anna Karenina
GentleReader9

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Internet Sage

Unread post

Thanks for the email reminder, Chris. My energy and attention have been elsewhere, but I appreciate being invited to participate in this choice.

2 votes for The Secret Garden....
I feel this pressure to vote at least once for Anna Karenina because it's Great Literature for Adults and I haven't read it yet, but I'm afraid it will drive me into a state of overwhelming depression and grief and despair. I don't care if it represents a cop out or moral cowardice or weakness! I don't care what you think! (Okay, that's a lie).

3 votes for The Secret Garden, though. Final answer.
"Where can I find a man who has forgotten the words so that I can talk with him?"
-- Chuang-Tzu (c. 200 B.C.E.)
as quoted by Robert A. Burton
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Three votes for Gogol I have always wanted to read Dead Souls.

[quote]In 1841 the first part of Dead Souls was ready, and Gogol took it to Russia to supervise its printing. It appeared in Moscow in 1842, under the title, imposed by the censorship, of The Adventures of Chichikov. The book instantly established his reputation as the greatest prose writer in the language. After the triumph of Dead Souls, Gogol came to be regarded by his contemporaries as a great satirist who lampooned the unseemly sides of Imperial Russia. Little did they know that Dead Souls was but the first part of a modern-day counterpart to The Divine Comedy. The first part represented the Inferno; the second part was to depict the gradual purification and transformation of the rogue Chichikov under the influence of virtuous publicans and governors

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”