• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

WANTED: June - August 2022 FICTION suggestions!

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

As you know we're reading and discussing the fiction book, Big Time: Stories, by Jen Spyra, in May, June & July 2022. So now we need to find another fiction book for June, July & August 2022. We're trying to stagger our book discussions so something new is always starting at the beginning of most months.

Please make your fiction suggestions here. And ideally provide a title, author name and a link to where we can learn more about your book suggestion. To really sell it, add a few words about why you're suggesting the book.

Please feel free to comment on other people's suggestions; if you like a suggestion please say so, and if you find a suggestion not to be enticing it is also OK to say so. Feedback makes this process work.

Once we have a nice selection of fiction book suggestions we'll either pick the one with the most positive feedback or conduct a poll to select a winner.

So what fiction book do you suggest?
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Re: WANTED: June - August 2022 FICTION suggestions!

Unread post

The Accidental Superpower, Peter Zeihan.

I just recommended it in another thread, and thought that perhaps it wasn't widely read.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Dhight
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I unabashedly nominate one of my own, "An Unlikely Messiah', by me, David Hight. https://www.amazon.com/Unlikely-Messiah ... 1693252872 The story itself is rather bizarre, but interesting, about a mixed-race young man (Yaqui and Irish) raised traveling the carnival circuit with his parents until that point in time when he strikes out on his own, then to face many adventures and misadventures on his way to the world declaring him a prophet. Though the tale is strange, maybe even a bit disturbing at times, it wasn't written to be so without purpose. It was written with the idea to allow the reader to experience all of the unsavory aspects of human nature, but also it was written to allow them to experience all of the great beauty people harbor within themselves. It is an experiment to see how people come out of it at the end.
[email protected]
Official Newbie!
Canada

Unread post

I would like to nominate my book, Eight Days in July by Gordon F Smith. It is available on amazon as a e book or paperback. It is free to kindle e book members. It is a fast paced crime drama set in south central British Columbia. Please post a review once you have read it. Thanks. Gord
Dhight
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Dhight wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:24 am I unabashedly nominate one of my own, "An Unlikely Messiah', by me, David Hight. https://www.amazon.com/Unlikely-Messiah ... 1693252872 The story itself is rather bizarre, but interesting, about a mixed-race young man (Yaqui and Irish) raised traveling the carnival circuit with his parents until that point in time when he strikes out on his own, then to face many adventures and misadventures on his way to the world declaring him a prophet. Though the tale is strange, maybe even a bit disturbing at times, it wasn't written to be so without purpose. It was written with the idea to allow the reader to experience all of the unsavory aspects of human nature, but also it was written to allow them to experience all of the great beauty people harbor within themselves. It is an experiment to see how people come out of it at the end.
To the mods, please feel free to delete this post, in fact, you'd be doing me a favor. It was in poor taste to pitch my own work in this thread, and it seems I may have started a trend. You have my humble apologies. Thank you
vidhiigoyall
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Hi everyone
I would like to suggest a book for all. It's 18 LETTERS AT 18, and I am genuinely happy to say that I am the author of this book
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Interbane wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:26 am The Accidental Superpower, Peter Zeihan.

I just recommended it in another thread, and thought that perhaps it wasn't widely read.
Looks interesting. Though this non-fiction, isn’t it?
-Geo
Question everything
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

1. Yes, the Accidental Superpower is non-fiction, so skip that one.
2. As far as I'm concerned, it's OK for David Hight to recommend his own book.
3. There's another suggestion for a book titled 18 LETTERS AT 18 but I can't find a listing, so skip that one.
4. How about The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood? That is certainly getting a heckuva lot of attention with a TV series and the impending overturn of Roe V. Wade. This is actually two books; The Testament is Part 2. We could just try the first one and see how it goes.

https://www.amazon.com/Handmaids-Tale-T ... C82&sr=1-2
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Handmaid's Tale is an awesome suggestion. I have been watching that series and my God it's good.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I'm okay with authors suggesting their own books. I think we should probably welcome that, provided the author states up front that they fully intend to interact with us should their book be selected.

We have forums for authors to promote their books. When we are trying to select a book for group discussion then that is not the time and place for book promotions. But if an author wants to suggest their book, and then participate in a discussion of their book, then I think it's acceptable to suggest their own book.

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”