• In total there are 10 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 10 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

FICTION BOOK POLL: Help select our Oct. thru Dec. 2020 FICTION book!

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!

FICTION BOOK POLL: Oct. thru Dec. 2020

BOOK 1: The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

20%
BOOK 2: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

80%

Total votes: 5
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

FICTION BOOK POLL: Help select our Oct. thru Dec. 2020 FICTION book!

Unread post

FICTION BOOK POLL
Help select our October, November & December 2020 FICTION book!
What fiction book would you guys like to read and talk about next?

Since our fiction section has been really slow the past year I am taking the initiative to create this poll on my own. Hopefully we can put some life into our fiction discussions.

Your help would be appreciated! You can tell people online and/or offline to join us for this new fiction book discussion. Spread the word here on the BookTalk.org forums too. If I create a "sticky" thread that appears at the top of every forum it seems people skip right over it. So your help in promoting this fiction discussion is not only helpful but quite possibly essential to attract enough participants to make the discussion exciting and worthwhile for all.

My idea here with this poll is to offer 2 classic fiction books that are commonly banned from libraries and public schools for one reason or another. Have you seen our Banned Books List - The 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990-2001 page? I've scoured the list and paid close attention to the fiction books BookTalk.org members seem to reference frequently on our forums. So these 2 books are going to hopefully excite you guys and lead to an active and satisfying discussion.

RULES:

#1. You need to have 5 or more posts on our forums to earn the right to vote in this poll. We do this so that people passing through, with no intention of actually participating, will not vote and skew the poll.

#2. You can vote for 1 or both books on the poll. The more books you vote for the easier it is for the community to find a book to read and discuss. Please read both book descriptions and a handful of reviews for each book and then vote for ALL books on the poll that you'd be willing to read and discuss with us.

#3. You can change your vote at any time or as often as you like up until the close of the poll. The poll will close when we have a clear favorite.

#4. Spread the word please! Mention this fiction poll and upcoming discussion in your forum posts and private messages and even out there in the offline world. Help make this a success.

OK, here are the choices...

BOOK 1:
The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

BOOK 2:
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Attachments
kill-mock.jpg
kill-mock.jpg (13.59 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
cat-rye.jpg
cat-rye.jpg (13.82 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: FICTION BOOK POLL: Help select our Sept. thru Nov. 2020 FICTION book!

Unread post

I just started the audiobook version of To Kill a Mockingbird from Audible.com and am thoroughly enjoying it.
brian douglas
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I listened to it a few years back and own a copy of the movie as well. There was a bit of controversy about her 'sequel'Go Set a Watchman as it was being tutted as a sequel to her first book.
On the thin ice of modern life...
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I find myself in a curious position here. I have read both "The Catcher in the Rye" and "To Kill a Mockingbird." I have not read "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings," but it is my understanding that it is an autobiography, not fiction. Should it be on the list? Regardless, I will cast my vote for it.

A point on the Harper Lee books. "Go Set a Watchman," though it is set after "Mockingbird" was actually written first. Why it was no published first I have no idea.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Cattleman, you're apparently absolutely correct. I'm a bit embarrassed to not have properly researched I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.
Reviewers often categorize Caged Bird as autobiographical fiction because Angelou uses thematic development and other techniques common to fiction, but the prevailing critical view characterizes it as an autobiography, a genre she attempts to critique, change, and expand.
If you're willing to vote for one of the other two books we can delete I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings from the poll. Can you revisit the other choices and consider voting for one or is I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings the only option in the poll that interests you?
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

If you decide to remove "Caged Bird," I will vote for "To Kill a Mockingbird." I am not averse to leaving "Caged Bird" on the list.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: FICTION BOOK POLL: Help select our Oct. thru Dec. 2020 FICTION book!

Unread post

I'm going to create the forum for To Kill a Mockingbird right now. We can set this as our November, December and January fiction book discussion. :-)

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”