• In total there are 12 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Have the next few books been chosen?

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Have the next few books been chosen?

Unread post

The Booktalk home page lists several upcoming books: A Thousand Splendid Suns, Wicked, Atlas Shrugs, Come on People, and If I Did It.

Have those books been chosen, or are they placeholders to catch people's attention? I didn't see polls for selecting those books, but I haven't been reading all the forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Yes, those books have been chosen. It was in our best interest to jump start the fiction section and have fiction books announced far in advance. Polls are not a thing of the past, but a few executive decisions have recently had to be made in order to get the ball rolling again.

Make some quality fiction suggestions for upcoming fiction books in this forum. But our new rule for "Official" selections is that our books need to be best sellers. We have dabbled in niche books of appeal to only a select audience for long enough. I am still researching this issue, but I believe the rule will be that the fiction or non-fiction book must be in the top 1000 on the Amazon.com sales list. If it isn't we cannot afford to have it as an official selection.

As membership increases we will have more people to pull into the Additional Book Discussions forums to niche book discussions. Want to discuss Norwegian Ship Building? Sounds exciting to some people, but not to most readers that wander by our community via search engine searches. We need books that are appealing to a vast audience. Then those people will join and explore the site and learn of the more niche or narrowly focused book discussions. But for now all official book discussions need to be top selling books.

You're getting a little ahead of me though. I am working on announcing these things in the Announcements forum. But all the other changes are sapping my time.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Unread post

Wow, that's really disappointing, particularly for the non-fiction selections.
George Ricker

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

irishrose wrote:Wow, that's really disappointing, particularly for the non-fiction selections.
Ditto.

George :sad:
George Ricker

"Nothing about atheism prevents me from thinking about any idea. It is the very epitome of freethought. Atheism imposes no dogma and seeks no power over others."

mere atheism: no gods
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Chris wants more participants. He has tried so many ways to attract Freethinkers, Athiests and quality members...but we just cannot get them to join or stick around. I am dissapointed as well about this, but lets give it a shot. We have had no activity (FAI&P) for a while now. Lets try to stick with Booktalk during this experiment and membership drive.

We can always have our own side book discussions as well as experimenting with the 'official' choices.

Mr. P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Thanks Nick. Yes, I'd really appreciate the support and loyalty. Six years of experimenting and spending money and we have not succeeded in being a niche book group. My logic is that we need to open the flood gates by discussing popular or best selling books as the official discussions. As new members join there will be an ever increasing chance of attracting some of them to the niche books. Those niche discussions can be positioned in the Additional Book Discussions forums until this place has grown significantly.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Chris, why don't you go ahead and slap that private forum together? It doesn't have to be anything fancy, so long as we can talk about the subjects you don't want discussed in the pubic forums. If it's a matter of not having found a way of limiting access by post count, just go ahead and make it private and give everyone who's already posted in this thread the proper permissions to post in that forum as well. Anyone else who wants to participate in that discussion can request to be added by replying to this thread. People obviously want to discuss it, and I think putting off the discussion is only likely to cause frustration.
If this rule were always observed; if no man allowed any pursuit whatsoever to interfere with the tranquility of his domestic affections, Greece had not been enslaved, Caesar would have spared his country, America would have been discovered more gradually, and the empires of Mexico and Peru had not been destroyed. -- Mary Shelley, "Frankenstein; or The Modern Prometheus"
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

MadArchitect wrote:Chris, why don't you go ahead and slap that private forum together? It doesn't have to be anything fancy, so long as we can talk about the subjects you don't want discussed in the pubic forums. If it's a matter of not having found a way of limiting access by post count, just go ahead and make it private and give everyone who's already posted in this thread the proper permissions to post in that forum as well. Anyone else who wants to participate in that discussion can request to be added by replying to this thread. People obviously want to discuss it, and I think putting off the discussion is only likely to cause frustration.
Second.

Mr. P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I've created "The Chamber" whihc is only open to members with 100 posts or more. We can discuss subjects there that are not really appropriate for the public forums.
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

Chris, this is your site, and you can choose its goals and how to achieve those goals. However, I doubt that your latest tactic will help you make this a popular book-discussion site.

Here's why. A web community needs to grow organically. In other words, people need to discover the site, find stuff of interest, and choose to contribute to the discussion.

Right now, there is a small group of frequent posters to Booktalk. To get a book discussion off the ground, a few of them need to participate. Someone who discovers this website for the first time isn't going to lead the discussion.

Now, we could try to select books that appeal to both a wider audience and a reasonable subset of the regulars. And, other changes you've made, such as the improved forum software, should help.

In any case, the handful of regulars is Booktalk main asset, and it would be foolish to drive them away.

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”