• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Suggestions needed for November/December fiction discussion

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Suggestions needed for November/December fiction discussion

Unread post

What book of fiction should we read for the months of November and December?

Should we pick a fantasy novel, a classic or something current? What novel do you think would make for an active and exciting discussion?

Any member with a minimum of 25 posts may make a suggestion. Each selection must include a link to a site that describes the book and gives details.

Member feedback on the novels suggested is important to the process of selecting a book for discussion. Please read through the suggested novels and make comments on those novels that are of interest to you. Also, please state if you intend on participating in the next discussion.

The novels with the most positive feedback will be placed in a poll. Voting in the poll will be available to all members with 25 or more posts on the boards of BookTalk.org. The novel with the most votes in the poll will become our next book of fiction for discussion during the months of November and December.
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Re: Suggestions needed for November/December fiction discussion

Unread post

I'm going to suggest a book by one of my favorite authors. I haven't read it yet, but it was the last book he wrote before he died. It's a really short book, & I might make another recommendation later this week... we'll see.

Cain by Jose Saramago

Amazon page

Amazon review
In his final slim novel, the late José Saramago gives a cheeky modernist update to a timeworn biblical tale. After killing his brother Abel in an exasperated rage, Cain makes a deal with a CEO-like God and escapes with little more than a donkey and a few snacks, doomed to nomadic immortality. As he wanders through time and space, the handsome itinerant interferes with the dealings of a familiar cast of characters--Noah, Moses, Isaac--forever altering the course of legend along the way. Deeply flawed and all too human, despite the eternal life granted him, Cain also struggles openly with the idea of faith in the face of an equally flawed God. By turns philosophical and hilarious, Cain shows off the scope of Saramago’s talent and makes a fitting coda for a superlative writing life. --Mia Lipman
I thought some of the people here might enjoy reading it. It's a retelling of the story of Cain... but the author, Saramago, was an atheist. He wrote another similar book- The Gospel According to Jesus Christ.

As for other suggestions/ideas, I am in the mood for fantasy. :3
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
Avid Reader
Cunning Linguist

Unread post

wilde wrote:Cain by Jose Saramago
I haven't participated in one of these yet, but this sounds like a novel I might like, so I vote for "Cain."
Money is a lousy way of keeping score.
Aqueda_Veronica
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

My dear friends,
I would like to cordially invite you to the world of Polish literature. To get us started I though I'd bring the short stories by Bruno Schulz to the table. I wish to nominate "Sanatorium Under the Sign of the Hourglass" or "The Street of Crocodiles".

Schulz is considered one of the classics of the XXth century, back in high school his novels were on my suggested reading list but somehow I never got round to them. Since lately I've hardly been reading anything in Polish at all, it would be a nice change.

Some time ago I came across this paragraph in a special edition of Newsweek:
"Shot by a Nazi during World War 2, forgotten and forsaken during Communistic times, now in demand again. Called "the Polish Kafka". Just the titles of his narratives are enough to get your imagination going. In fact, it is a read for connoisseurs of elaborate and exquisite writing."
For more information please refer to the below Wiki articles:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Schulz
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanatorium_Under_ ... _Hourglass
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Street_of_Crocodiles

Of course, I would be more than happy to lead the discussion or give more information on Polish literature and history :)
Last edited by Aqueda_Veronica on Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"From childhood's hour I have not been as others were
I have not seen as others saw
I could not bring my passions from a common spring
From the same source I have not taken my sorrow
I could not awake my heart to joy at the same tone
And all I loved - I loved alone"

E.A.Poe
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

25 or more posts are needed to suggest a book JohnGNelson. The reason for this rule is we have found that few members with less than 25 posts actually participate in the discussion.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

Oh, the Polish option sounds good. It would be nice to try something from another country. I used to read a lot of Jerzey Kosinski. But then, I love Isabel Allende. Some many books, so little time.

I recently read The Emperor's Children by Claire Messud. It is a very well written pre/post 9/11 chronicle of the lives of several Manhattanites. http://www.amazon.com/Emperors-Children ... 715&sr=1-1

And, one of my favorites, Russell Banks has a new book called Lost Memory of Skin. http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0061857 ... eader-link

So I'll throw those into the nomination mix.
kelstan

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Unread post

The Russell Banks sounds GREAT, or the Isabel Allende.
Aqueda_Veronica
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

To be honest, if my proposition does no go through I would opt for Isabell Allende too! The reason for that is because I already got a copy of the novel from my library :)

Please keep in mind guys that some of us don't live in the US so if you choose a title that has just been published, you automatically exclude those who don't have the access to the book.
"From childhood's hour I have not been as others were
I have not seen as others saw
I could not bring my passions from a common spring
From the same source I have not taken my sorrow
I could not awake my heart to joy at the same tone
And all I loved - I loved alone"

E.A.Poe
martinthebandit
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Aqueda_Veronica wrote:To be honest, if my proposition does no go through I would opt for Isabell Allende too! The reason for that is because I already got a copy of the novel from my library :)

Please keep in mind guys that some of us don't live in the US so if you choose a title that has just been published, you automatically exclude those who don't have the access to the book.
G point

And the Polish option sounds good to me, mainly because I suspect they might be outside my comfort zone, which is good

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”