• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Clarifying a line from “The Shadow Over Innsmouth”

This forum is dedicated to discussing your preferred FICTION authors, books, and genres.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
natedugan76
Official Newbie!

Clarifying a line from “The Shadow Over Innsmouth”

Unread post

Hi all, I’m new here.
Recently picked up a Lovecraft collection. I’m having a lot of trouble comprehending one particular line from The Shadow Over Innsmouth:
“But at last I am going to defy the ban on speech about this thing. Results, I am certain, are so thorough that no public harm save a shock of repulsion could ever accrue from a hinting of what was found by those horrified raiders at Innsmouth.”
The second sentence just does not compute for me. Can anyone clarify?
Murmur
Internet Sage

Re: Clarifying a line from “The Shadow Over Innsmouth”

Unread post

The only part of the text that I'm having trouble with is the word "results". I think the results in question are the discoveries at Innsmouth by the soldiers, and the aftermath of the torpedoing by the submarine.

The speaker was forbidden from speaking.
He decided to defy the ban on speaking.
Everybody already knows what happened at Innsmouth (this is the "results" part).
The only thing that could occur from him speaking is people would have a shock of repulsion.
natedugan76
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Murmur wrote:The only part of the text that I'm having trouble with is the word "results". I think the results in question are the discoveries at Innsmouth by the soldiers, and the aftermath of the torpedoing by the submarine.

Everybody already knows what happened at Innsmouth (this is the "results" part).
The only thing that could occur from him speaking is people would have a shock of repulsion.
Huh. That makes sense. Seems like a strange way of wording it though. Or maybe I just don’t get it because my English isn’t quite advanced enough. Oh well.
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

natedugan76 wrote:
Murmur wrote:The only part of the text that I'm having trouble with is the word "results". I think the results in question are the discoveries at Innsmouth by the soldiers, and the aftermath of the torpedoing by the submarine.

Huh. That makes sense. Seems like a strange way of wording it though. Or maybe I just don’t get it because my English isn’t quite advanced enough. Oh well.
Well, Lovecraft emulated Poe, and Poe used convoluted prose like that.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

The "results" are not what the raiders found, it was how it was covered over and dealt with which the narrator talks about--dynamiting waterfront houses, carting certain individuals found there to goals and hospitals to be locked away.
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

EDIT: REDACTED.

Return to “Fiction General Discussion”