• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Coming of age

This forum is dedicated to discussing your preferred FICTION authors, books, and genres.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
djkirk
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Coming of age

Unread post

Coming of age, the misunderstood genre. My publisher didn't have a category with that name. Amazon has it as a tag but not a genre name. My book got mislabeled "young adult." They are not the same thing. So, I'm looking for readers and writers and lovers of this type of story to start a discussion on this wonderful yet obscure genre.
djkirk
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Re: Coming of age

Unread post

Bildungsroman: 1) a type of novel concerned with the education, development, and maturing of a young protagonist. 2) a novel of formation, education, or coming of age.

Examples:
-The Catcher in the Rye
-To Kill a Mockingbird
-The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Lucian Hodoboc
Getting Comfortable

Re: Coming of age

Unread post

Yes. "Bildungsroman" would usually be the genre that includes novels and novellas about a protagonist's youth and maturing. I'm actually working on a novel that could be considered a bildungsroman, but I don't know whether I will finish it anytime soon. Some publishers nowadays seem to be so caught up in the "young adult" trend that they confuse genres with categories sometimes.

Return to “Fiction General Discussion”