• In total there are 13 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Haruki Murakami - HIS NEW NOVEL!

This forum is dedicated to discussing your preferred FICTION authors, books, and genres.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
crios

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Master Debater

Haruki Murakami - HIS NEW NOVEL!

Unread post

Killing Commendatore by Haruki Murakami (Available: Oct. 9th, 2018)

In Killing Commendatore, a thirty-something portrait painter in Tokyo is abandoned by his wife and finds himself holed up in the mountain home of a famous artist, Tomohiko Amada. When he discovers a previously unseen painting in the attic, he unintentionally opens a circle of mysterious circumstances. To close it, he must complete a journey that involves a mysterious ringing bell, a two-foot-high physical manifestation of an Idea, a dapper businessman who lives across the valley, a precocious thirteen-year-old girl, a Nazi assassination attempt during World War II in Vienna, a pit in the woods behind the artist’s home, and an underworld haunted by Double Metaphors. A tour de force of love and loneliness, war and art—as well as a loving homage to The Great Gatsby—Killing Commendatore is a stunning work of imagination from one of our greatest writers.

I sounds like another great magical realism thrill ride! I can't wait to get my copy.
Are you as excited about it as I am? You are if you're a big Murakami fan like I am.

:bananadance:
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Re: Haruki Murakami - HIS NEW NOVEL!

Unread post

I recently got a recommendation to read "The Wind-up Bird Chronicle." What was your favorite Murakami? And what do you particularly like about his writing? (I am interested in anyone's answer, not just crios.)
crios

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Master Debater

Unread post

Well, I think that they are all great. I enjoy the way he maneuvers the reader through the story; the way he presents the odd (magical realism) into the realistic. He is an artist before he is a writer in my book.
Devie
Official Newbie!

Unread post

It has been a while since the release date, so I wonder if anyone has read this book and write a quick review. I know it's better for a newbie like me to start with his well-known releases, but I want to try a different approach. This kind of fantasy setting is a style I usually like, so it feels just right!
steve21771
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I'm reading his new novel now. I've read 5 of his novels so far, and have all his novels. So, I've read Wind Up Bird Chronicle, 1Q84, Sputnik Sweetheart, Colorless Tazaki, Norwegian Wood and now Killing. I have to say that my favorite so far is a tie between Sputnik and 1Q84, but I've read Tazaki three times. I am enjoying Killing, though only through the first 100 pages so far. I'll go into a more thoughtful discussion of Sputnik and 1Q84 later.
skybaron
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Most of the Killing Commendatore available in our local bookstore are hardbound and I'm still waiting for a paperback copy just like with his Men without Women.
Learn to indulge yourself at times. I bought a set of rockstar wheels to modify my pickup this weekend.

Return to “Fiction General Discussion”