• In total there are 18 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 18 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Obituaries - Writers

This forum is dedicated to discussing your preferred FICTION authors, books, and genres.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Obituaries - Writers

Unread post

V.S. Naipaul died yesterday. There may be a thread here for obituaries, but I don't see it. I expect I'll be back here with other obituaries. Maybe others will want to add to the thread as well.

Naipaul won the Nobel Prize for literature. He was born in Trinidad and did lots of traveling, wrote about it. I've read three of his books and really enjoyed The Enigma of Arrival and A Turn in the South.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-44820536

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V._S._Naipaul

I have a copy of Collected Short Fiction (Everyman's Library Contemporary Classics Series) and will read that someday. From the book blurb:

For the first time: the Nobel Prize winner’s stunning short fiction collected in one volume, with an introduction by the author.

Over the course of his distinguished career, V. S. Naipaul has written a remarkable array of short fiction that moves from Trinidad to London to Africa. Here are the stories from his Somerset Maugham Award–winning Miguel Street, in which he takes us into a derelict corner of Trinidad’s capital to meet, among others, Man-Man, who goes from running for public office to staging his own crucifixion. The tales in A Flag on the Island, meanwhile, roam from a Chinese bakery in Trinidad to a rooming house in London. And in the celebrated title story from the Booker Prize– winning In a Free State, an English couple traveling in an unnamed African country discover, under a veneer of civilization, a landscape of squalor and ethnic bloodletting.

No writer has rendered our postcolonial world more acutely or prophetically than V. S. Naipaul, or given its upheavals such a hauntingly human face.

Return to “Fiction General Discussion”