• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

This forum is devoted to conversations about your favorite NON-FICTION authors, books, and genres.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
KevinMcCabe
Creative Writing Student

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Unread post

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky is a fascinating Russian classic if you want to dive in to that part of the world's history. There are loads of reviews about this book. But nothing can beat to actually reading it. Who has read it? What do you think about it?
Academic writer, university lecturer and blogger based in London
Frankstien
Getting Comfortable

Re: Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Unread post

I read this story last fall. It was excellent and has started me on a love affair with the Russian writers of the Golden Age (and now the Silver Age too.)

Crime and Punishment was an intense fascinating read. Raskolnikov, the main character, is both sympathetic and pathetic. I got a real kick out of his good friend Razumikhin. I saw a Masterpiece Theatre British production of this story starring John Hurt as Raskolnikov, which wasn't bad. The one thing I don't think any of the film versions I've see so far have caught is the ill/feverish element that Raskolnikov was suffering from just before and when he performed the murders. The book makes it clear.

Currently, I am just past the halfway point of Tolstoy's War and Peace and just finished Ivan Turgenev's Fathers and Sons, as well as his A House of Gentlefolk. I have started on another Dostoyevsky story "The Eternal Husband." At first I was a little put off by the long winded character set up--but then--WHAM--it got me hooked! I will report on this one later.

I must say these Russian writers are amazing for their depth of understanding the human condition. Quite frankly it makes someone like Hemingway superficial by comparison.
"Our journey is entirely imaginary. That is its strength."
--Louis-Ferdinand Celine
brian douglas
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I'm a huge fan of Russian Literature. Crime and Punishment plays out the turmoil of the (Russian) human condition rather well, but I preferred Fyodor Dostoyevsky's Devils more.
On the thin ice of modern life...
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Here is the link to our 2011 discussion of Dostokevsky's Brothers Karamazov. https://www.booktalk.org/the-brothers-k ... -f174.html
Frankstien
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I would like to read Dostoyevsky's The Devils (or The Demons or The Possessed --whatever the copy's title is.) What I love about Dostoyevsky is his mixture of intense emotion and offbeat humor at times. I read a short novel of his that I highly recommend "The Eternal Husband." That story will stay with you for some time.

https://www.crisismagazine.com/2014/dos ... y-prophecy
"Our journey is entirely imaginary. That is its strength."
--Louis-Ferdinand Celine
brian douglas
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Thanks. I've added it to my wishlist on Audible.
On the thin ice of modern life...

Return to “Non-Fiction General Discussion”