• In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Q3, 2007 Freethinker Book Suggestions

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Q3, 2007 Freethinker Book Suggestions

Unread post

Q3, 2007 Freethinker Book SuggestionsJuly, August & September 2007This thread is for making FREETHINKER nonfiction book suggestions for 3rd Quarter of 2007 (July, August & September). For those that are new to BookTalk I will briefly explain our book suggestion process.We read and discuss 2 different nonfiction books concurrently each quarter. 1 book is a "freethought" nonfiction selection1 book is a general interest nonfiction bookThere is a suggestion thread created for each of the above two categories. The thread you are in now is where you make your freethought book suggestions. Books that don't clearly represent and promote freethought should not be added to this thread. Simply use the other suggestion thread.What constitutes a "freethought" book?...books about atheism and agnosticism, separation of church and state, skepticism, scientific inquiry, evolution vs. creationism, logic and reason, comparative religion, etc... So a general philosophy book would not fit in this category, but would do nicely as a general interest nonfiction selection. Please help us select quality books by putting a bit of effort into your suggestions and the placement of your suggestion into the right suggestion thread.Important:1. Provide the title, author, copied and pasted review or summary, and a link to Amazon where we can read more. 2. Please comment on other people's suggestions periodically. This is probably the most important thing you can do. Don't make a suggestion and then vanish. Be ACTIVE in this thread.So what FREETHOUGHT nonfiction books would you like to read and discuss for Q3, 2007 (July, August & September)?I'd really like to select our Q3, 2007 books early this time. It is in our best interest to give plenty of advance notice so visitors and members have time to order the upcoming books at least 3 weeks before the start of the next reading period. So provide your suggestion now so that they have a chance of appearing on the poll!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: Q3, 2007 Freethinker Book Suggestions

Unread post

We should start gathering some suggestions soon.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I saw an interview with the author a few nights ago and this looks to be an awesome book. Of course our resident theists will not find this to be worthy of discussion, but it is certainly in line with our mission as a freethinker community.God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher HitchensFrom Publishers WeeklyHitchens, one of our great political pugilists, delivers the best of the recent rash of atheist manifestos. The same contrarian spirit that makes him delightful reading as a political commentator, even (or especially) when he's completely wrong, makes him an entertaining huckster prosecutor once he has God placed in the dock. And can he turn a phrase!: "monotheistic religion is a plagiarism of a plagiarism of a hearsay of a hearsay, of an illusion of an illusion, extending all the way back to a fabrication of a few nonevents." Hitchens's one-liners bear the marks of considerable sparring practice with believers. Yet few believers will recognize themselves as Hitchens associates all of them for all time with the worst of history's theocratic and inquisitional moments. All the same, this is salutary reading as a means of culling believers' weaker arguments: that faith offers comfort (false comfort is none at all), or has provided a historical hedge against fascism (it mostly hasn't), or that "Eastern" religions are better (nope). The book's real strength is Hitchens's on-the-ground glimpses of religion's worst face in various war zones and isolated despotic regimes. But its weakness is its almost fanatical insistence that religion poisons "everything," which tips over into barely disguised misanthropy.From The Washington Post's Book World/washingtonpost.comReviewed by Stephen ProtheroA century and a half ago Pope Pius IX published the Syllabus of Errors, a rhetorical tour de force against the high crimes and misdemeanors of the modern world. God Is Not Great, by the British journalist and professional provocateur Christopher Hitchens, is the atheists' equivalent: an unrelenting enumeration of religion's sins and wickedness, written with much of the rhetorical pomp and all of the imperial condescension of a Vatican encyclical.Hitchens, who once described Mother Teresa as "a fanatic, a fundamentalist, and a fraud," is notorious for making mincemeat out of sacred cows, but in this book it is the sacred itself that is skewered. Religion, Hitchens writes, is "violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children." Channeling the anti-supernatural spirits of other acolytes of the "new atheism," Hitchens argues that religion is "man-made" and murderous, originating in fear and sustained by brute force. Like Richard Dawkins, he denounces the religious education of young people as child abuse. Like Sam Harris, he fires away at the Koran as well as the Bible. And like Daniel Dennett, he views faith as wish-fulfillment.Historian George Marsden once described fundamentalism as evangelicalism that is mad about something. If so, these evangelistic atheists have something in common with their fundamentalist foes, and Hitchens is the maddest of the lot. Protestant theologian John Calvin was "a sadist and torturer and killer," Hitchens writes, and the Bible "contain a warrant for trafficking in humans, for ethnic cleansing, for slavery, for bride-price, and for indiscriminate massacre." As should be obvious to any reasonable person -- unlike Hitchens I do not exclude believers from this category -- horrors and good deeds are performed by believers and non-believers alike. But in Hitchens's Manichaean world, religion does little good and secularism hardly any evil. Indeed, Hitchens arrives at the conclusion that the secular murderousness of Stalin's purges wasn't really secular at all, since, as he quotes George Orwell, "a totalitarian state is in effect a theocracy." And in North Korea today, what has gone awry is not communism but Confucianism.Hitchens is not so forgiving when it comes to religion's transgressions. He aims his poison pen at the Dalai Lama, St. Francis and Gandhi. Among religious leaders only the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. comes off well. But in the gospel according to Hitchens whatever good King did accrues to his humanism rather than his Christianity. In fact, King was not actually a Christian at all, argues Hitchens, since he rejected the sadism that characterizes the teachings of Jesus. "No supernatural force was required to make the case against racism" in postwar America, writes Hitchens. But he's wrong. It was the prophetic faith of black believers that gave them the strength to stand up to the indignities of fire hoses and police dogs. As for those white liberals inspired by Paine, Mencken and Hitchens's other secular heroes, well, they stood down.Hitchens says a lot of true things in this wrongheaded book. He is right that you can be moral without being religious. He is right to track contemporary sexism and sexual repression to ancient religious beliefs. And his attack on "intelligent design" is not only convincing but comical, coursing as it does through the crude architecture of the appendix and our inconvenient "urinogenital arrangements."What Hitchens gets wrong is religion itself.Hitchens claims that some of his best friends are believers. If so, he doesn't know much about his best friends. He writes about religious people the way northern racists used to talk about "Negroes" -- with feigned knowing and a sneer. God Is Not Great assumes a childish definition of religion and then criticizes religious people for believing such foolery. But it is Hitchens who is the na
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Unread post

Chris: Of course our resident theists will not find this to be worthy of discussion, but it is certainly in line with our mission as a freethinker community.Christopher Hitchens is a personal favorite of mine. I think his Letters to a Young Contrarian was an intellectual feast of wit, humor, history, literary command, political astuteness, philosophical reasoning and moral courage. He is a dissident's dissident....difficult to pin down or define and always against the grain. I respect his post-911 turn toward militaristic Imperial humanitarianism, even if I think it a profound mistake. I found his public, personal attack upon and disavowal of Noam Chomsky and the "Chomsky-Zinn-Finkelstein nexus" to be a great misfortune and another mistake. I also think his critique of all-things-religious to be, well, a mistake too. He is a great pleasure to read and will undoubtedly challenge our resident Theists to be damned clear about what we really think and are willing to sacrifice for our religious proclivities.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Chris OConnor: Of course our resident theists will not find this to be worthy of discussion, but it is certainly in line with our mission as a freethinker community.I wouldn't object to books like this at all if a) we weren't reading them 3 quarters out of 4, and b) we devoted a little thought to well-presented, opposing points of view.But my opinion is going to be a bit moot, anyway. I'm not participating in either of the current readings, and if things continue as they are (ie. well), then there's a good chance I won't be participating next quarter either.
riverc0il
Senior

Unread post

God is Not Great seems like an obvious candidate as the latest best seller from the so called New Atheist literature. God Delusion by Dawkins is next on my book shelf and I still need to get to Dennett (I know, I know, I am behind the BookTalk.org times ).From the reviews on Amazon, Hitchens book seems like yet another tirade preaching to the proverbial choir. While I am sure to enjoy the read, I long for some non-confrontational titles that might be read and enjoyed by a broader audience, especially those that may be ensure of their current religious persuasion. These types of attack texts often leave even agnostics slightly bent out of shape.Any ways, I will throw support behind this suggestion though I don't have any suggestions to add.
riverc0il
Senior

Unread post

While browsing around for information on Hitchens, I happened across a debate between Hitchens and Rev. Al Sharpton:empirezone.blogs.nytimes....and-faith/After reading some of the exchanges, I hate to say it but Hitchens got owned and failed to retort to some obvious softballs thrown By Rev. Al Sharpton. Nice to see a well mannered and respectful debate, but I hope Hitchens writes better than he debates.In other readings, I also noticed that Mr. Hitchens is a supporter of the war in Iraq (which Sharpton makes an amazingly cruel but delicious swipe in the above article quotes). Not that political beliefs have much to do with a freethinker title debating the lack of existence of a deity, but an interesting position none the less from the perspective of someone arguing about some of religiously inspired needless and destructive warmongering. So its okay if it is a secular needless and destructive war? An obvious and glaring inconsistency of argument that Al Sharpton was well to point out.Not to get off topic here, but are there any good debaters of religious skepticism? The blow horns of the religious movement do this type of thing for a living. They live for being in the public eye, on a stage, and convincing people that they are right. Freethinkers seem much less likely to become involved in such debate, which can often turn illogical and needlessly heated.Recently at a family gathering, it was noted that the two things you should never talk to people about are religion and politics. I suggested that if people actually could talk about these subjects without emotion and with logic, the world might be a better place. That perhaps people avoid these subjects too much because they can not approach them from an open minded perspective or at least not resort to illogical attacks and frustrated annoyance. Nice to see a civil public debate on the topic, but Hitchens got owned.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Any further suggestions? Let's aim at getting this poll up early.Mad, I hear you, but I am overhwhelmed with personal stuff to be able to address such stuff right now. I suggest using your powers of persuasion.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

When I was more active, persuasion was appropriate. Now that I'm more of side-liner, it seems fairer to just let the participating members have it their way. I wouldn't even have commented had someone not brought up past discussions on the matter.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Mad:Any reason why you have disappeared all of a sudden? Just wondering.Mr. P. But atheism is no more a religion than not playing chess is a hobby. - Robert Sawyer - Sci Fi AuthorI'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - Asana Boditharta (former booktalk troll)The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.What is all this shit about Angels? Have you heard this? 3 out of 4 people believe in Angels. Are you F****** STUPID? Has everybody lost their mind? - George CarlinI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”