• In total there are 32 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 32 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

OFFICIAL POLL: Help select our NON-FICTION book for February, March & April 2019

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!

Which books would you read and discuss for February, March & April 2019?

BOOK 1: Lies My Teacher Told Me by James W. Loewen

26%
BOOK 2: Mere Morality by Dan Barker

13%
BOOK 3: The Travels of a T-Shirt in the Global Economy by Pietra Rivoli

13%
BOOK 4: The Revolt of The Public and the Crisis of Authority ... by Martin Gurri

22%
BOOK 5: Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover

13%
BOOK 6: Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption by Bryan Stevenson

13%

Total votes: 23
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

OFFICIAL POLL: Help select our NON-FICTION book for February, March & April 2019

Unread post

OFFICIAL POLL: Help select our NON-FICTION book for February, March & April 2019!
The simple rules...
Only vote if you will participate.
Please only vote if you actually plan to participate in the next NON-FICTION book discussion. We're not looking for your opinion of which book looks the most interesting. We're wondering which book or books you will actually read and talk about with us.

Vote for as many books as you like.
Vote for as many of the 6 book choices as you're interested in reading and discussing. We'll read the one with the most interest so please don't just vote for 1 book if there is more than 1 that you'd enjoy reading and discussing. Again, we're only going to select the book with the most votes so don't worry. If you like all 6 choices we're not going to take that as your willingness to read and discuss all 6 books concurrently. You just make things a lot easier on the book selection process if you express a willingness to read and discuss more than just one of the 6 choices. Make sense?

Share your thoughts on why you voted the way you voted.
After casting your vote please feel free to make a post explaining why you voted the way you did. You just might influence other members to change their votes so please sell us on your choice. But don't feel obligated to explain yourself.

We're looking for at least 6 active members to all agree on one of these books.
Now here are your 6 choices...
BOOK 1: Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong by James W. Loewen

BOOK 2: Mere Morality by Dan Barker

BOOK 3: The Travels of a T-Shirt in the Global Economy: An Economist Examines the Markets, Power, and Politics of World Trade by Pietra Rivoli

BOOK 4: The Revolt of The Public and the Crisis of Authority in the New Millennium by Martin Gurri

BOOK 5: Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover

BOOK 6: Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption by Bryan Stevenson

Please click on each link and read about our 6 choices. :thanks2:
Attachments
414lZg+LS7L._SL250_.jpg
414lZg+LS7L._SL250_.jpg (10.24 KiB) Viewed 7897 times
414TLNDFVML._SL250_.jpg
414TLNDFVML._SL250_.jpg (8.02 KiB) Viewed 7897 times
51KbqgerbUL._SL250_.jpg
51KbqgerbUL._SL250_.jpg (13.94 KiB) Viewed 7897 times
51K2pHKgaLL._SL250_.jpg
51K2pHKgaLL._SL250_.jpg (11.91 KiB) Viewed 7897 times
51e8JWoWWmL._SL250_.jpg
51e8JWoWWmL._SL250_.jpg (13.87 KiB) Viewed 7897 times
51aQsBnSjuL._SL250_.jpg
51aQsBnSjuL._SL250_.jpg (14.17 KiB) Viewed 7897 times
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: OFFICIAL POLL: Help select our NON-FICTION book for February, March & April 2019

Unread post

"Lies My Teacher Told Me" gets a vote. I'm thinking about everything I was taught about Columbus in grade school, almost all of it dead wrong, as it turns out. This book gets very high ratings and is about history, one of my favorite subjects. It should be interesting to see how history has been propagandized in the past.

I would also participate in Dan Barker's "Mere Morality" which is about being moral without religion. We discussed a Dan Barker book many moons ago, and I recall it being pretty good.
What drives us to be good? How do we even know how to be good? Philosophers and theologians have dealt with such questions for millennia, but Dan Barker thinks the answers are not so complicated. In Mere Morality, he argues there's no need to appeal to supernatural commandments or the fear of some higher power when considering morality. Stripping “good" and "evil” down to the basics, he offers a simple compass for navigating life's most difficult moral and ethical dilemmas.
I would prefer "Lies My Teacher Told Me" but I am casting votes for both books.
-Geo
Question everything
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: OFFICIAL POLL: Help select our NON-FICTION book for February, March & April 2019

Unread post

Geo, there is an actual poll for you to take. Click on the books you like and submit please. Thank you!
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

i checked the results before casting a vote because I wanted to see how "Educated" was doing. I looked at the Amazon reviews and it looks really good.
Unfortunately it's not doing too well here.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Ant, why not cast your vote for it?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Ant, why not cast your vote for it?

okay, will do
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

I voted. Where's my sticker?
"I have a great relationship with the blacks."
Donald J. Trump
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

We don't do stickers. We do Reading Helmets.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Lies My Teacher Told Me by James W. Loewen is our winner and I will create the new forum right now. :clap:

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”