• In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

JULY 2002 - Book of the Month! We need suggestions...

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

JULY 2002 - Book of the Month! We need suggestions...

Unread post

Everyone:Please post your suggestions for the July Book of the Month here. I'm tending to like Rackhir's idea and would like to read the book about the fall of the indians at Wounded Knee. But please post some ideas. When we have a few I will create another Poll that will actually serve as the official determination of what the book will be for July.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da Vinci
greg in the machine

Re: JULY 2002 - Book of the Month! We need suggestions...

Unread post

I'm leaning towards Steve's Wounded Knee book myself. So far the "Native American" book idea is ahead in the poll, too.G
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

I recently joined a book discussion group here in Cincinnati. It's much like this one. We choose a book each month, read it, and then meet together in the library to discuss it. But their books are limited to science. I'm going to suggest some of the books that I'll be reading for this discussion group because I'm lazy. If we choose some of the same books here at BookTalk I'll only have to read one book that month instead of two. We just finished Asimov's Chronology of Science and Discovery. I didn't actually read that one because I came in so late. But I'm planning to join in with July's book. Here is what we'll be reading for the remainder of 2002: July - Animal Minds: Beyond Cognition to Consciousness by Donald R. Griffin August - The Greatest Benefit to Mankind: A Medical History of Humanity by Roy Porter September - The Mismeasure of Man by Stephen Jay Gould October - Extinct Humans by Ian Tattersall and Jeffrey H. Schwartz November - E=MC2 by David Bodanis December - Seven Daughters of Eve by Bryan SykesAny of these books interest me. So does a book on Native Americans. I'll read pretty much anything. Cheryl
greg in the machine

Unread post

Well, what exactly is Animal Minds about? It's hard to judge by the title. I'm assuming you'd want to read July's book (as opposed to us picking one from further down the list) otherwise you wouldn't really be getting a twofer.If Animal Minds ends up sounding good to everyone I'm up for it, but right now Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee has my vote.G
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Greg,Any from that list would be fine. It wouldn't have to be July's selection. If we choose one from a later month it will mean that I won't have to read two that month. But it's no big deal if I do, just a suggestion. I want everyone here to pick what they want to read. So if some of those interest the group that's great for me. If not then let's choose something else.Donald Griffen is considered the leading expert in animal intelligence. Animal Minds incorporates his findings and other research, including that of his critics, about animal cognition and consciousness. Here is a link if you want to know more about the book: www.press.uchicago.edu/Mi...08650.htmlCheryl
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I'm interested in Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee for our July read. Let's give a few more people the chance to vote in the poll for what subject we cover.I've put some flyers up at Gold's Gym...maybe we'll get another person or two.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da Vinci
stevepainter

Unread post

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee is an excellent book that I think every American should read. I'll warn you though, you won't be very proud to be an American while you read much of it. Considering how busy I've been with my house and work, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to this being the July book suggestion. Since I already own it and read it a few years ago, I can just skim it to refresh my memory and join the discussion.That's my 2 cents anyway. Steve
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Steve:I fell a bit behind and have finally created a forum for Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. It sounds like most of us are interested in this book so we can now all start reading.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da Vinci
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Ok. Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee it is! I'm going to try to pick up a copy today and start reading it tonight. Hopefully we can get some discussion going in the next week!Cheryl

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”