• In total there are 21 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

How do readers prefer to learn about new books?

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
RGleason
Official Newbie!

How do readers prefer to learn about new books?

Unread post

I am a new author and, like most, I want people to learn about and purchase my book. I've followed all the links and suggestions from other authors and book promoters about where and how to advertise. Some have been helpful, some not so much.
For many advertisement sites, it seems like nothing more than spamming your book cover and blurb in people's faces which annoys even me. And looking at the author posts on this forum, I notice that most have a handful of views but no one is engaging with the author to discuss what their book is about or what a reader might learn from it.
Then it occurred to me- why am I taking suggestions from other authors when I should be asking potential readers how they'd like to be approached?

So, how do all of you, as readers, prefer to learn about new books? Is it through an author's social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, website/ blog, etc.)? Do book ads on forums or from e-mail lists you subscribe to get your attention? Do you search Amazon for subjects of interest?
I'd love to be educated by my potential audience rather than other "salesman" authors like myself. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Last edited by RGleason on Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
josette
Getting Comfortable

Re: How do readers prefer to learn about new books?

Unread post

If I'm familiar with the author, I find out about their latest releases from their twitter account.

Otherwise I search for genre's I'm interested in, from Goodreads.
RGleason
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I have Twitter but unfortunately don't utilize it. I guess I should change that!
Thanks for the feedback, Josette.
stefandiamante
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I'm also a first time author and what I've seen so far is a lot of smoke and mirrors. Twitter is filled with authors posting large followings and rave reviews. Most of these reviews were bought, and having 50k followers doesn't mean anything when you're following 60k people. Those are simply reciprocal follows out of politeness. That said, the marketing rules are different for fiction vs. nonfiction.

What I'm learning at the moment is that, to sell my nonfiction book, I'll need to cross market it with something else that further cements my credibility on the topics covered in my book. In my case, I'm currently working on producing dance fitness videos aimed at women and using my background as a seasoned male stripper (which is what my memoir covers) as the main selling point. Since my book is evergreen, I at least have the luxury of building sales slowly.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”