• In total there are 20 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 19 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The new Classics book poll

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
pctacitus

The new Classics book poll

Unread post

Vote and post a message to tell me what you voted for. These are the best available options for those who don't read the original languages of the works not in English, either in price and/or in quality. The internet also contains several copies of the text in both English and the original languages of most, if not all of these works. I have included a way to obtain an online text, and a listing on amazon for each choice. Each choice is given with the first paragraph of each work(for Plato, the first paragraph of Timeaus).1. Timaeus and Critias by PlatoSocrates: One, two, three; but where, my dear Timaeus, is the fourth of those who were yesterday my guests and are to be my entertainers to-day?Timaeus: He has been taken ill, Socrates; for he would not willingly have been absent from this gathering.Socrates: Then, if he is not coming, you and the two others must supply his place.Timaeus: Certainly, and we will do all that we can; having been handsomely entertained by you yesterday, those of us who remain should be only too glad to return your hospitality.Socrates: Do you remember what were the points of which I required you to speak?Timaeus: We remember some of them, and you will be here to remind us of anything which we have forgotten: or rather, if we are not troubling you, will you briefly recapitulate the whole, and then the particulars will be more firmly fixed in our memories?Socrates: To be sure I will: the chief theme of my yesterday's discourse was the State-how constituted and of what citizens composed it would seem likely to be most perfect.www.amazon.com/exec/obido...ce&s=booksw ... tias.html2. History of the Peloponnesian War by ThucydidesI. Thucydides, an Athenian, wrote the history of the war between the Peloponnesians and the Athenians, beginning at the moment that it broke out, and believing that it would be a great war, and more worthy of relation than any that had preceded it. This belief was not without its grounds. The preparations of both the combatants were in every department in the last state of perfection; and he could see the rest of the Hellenic race taking sides in the quarrel; those who delayed doing so at once having it in contemplation. [2] Indeed this was the greatest movement yet known in history, not only of the Hellenes, but of a large part of the barbarian world--I had almost said of mankind. [3] For though the events of remote antiquity, and even those that more immediately precede the war, could not from lapse of time be clearly ascertained, yet the evidences which an inquiry carried as far back as was practicable leads me to trust, all point to the conclusion that there was nothing on a great scale, either in war or in other matters.www.amazon.com/exec/obido...03-2695204w ... 1%3A1%3A13. The Crisis by Thomas PaineTHESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated. Britain, with an army to enforce her tyranny, has declared that she has a right (not only to TAX) but "to BIND us in ALL CASES WHATSOEVER," and if being bound in that manner, is not slavery, then is there not such a thing as slavery upon earth. Even the expression is impious; for so unlimited a power can belong only to God.www.amazon.com/exec/obido...ce&s=bookse ... ac/Results (total votes = 5):Timaeus and Critias by Plato&nbsp1 / 20.0%&nbsp History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides&nbsp3 / 60.0%&nbsp The Crisis by Thomas Paine&nbsp1 / 20.0%&nbsp  ...[T]o ignore the classics is ultimately to weaken the very foundations of our society. - James Atlas, Book Wars: What it Takes to be Educated in America
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: The new Classics book poll

Unread post

Looks like my last post in the nomination thread was a bit too late, but all's well since one of my suggestions ended up on the poll anyway.I voted for Thucydides. T.S. Eliot best expresses my reason for doing so: "The advantage of the study of Greek history and Greek political theory, as a preliminary to the study of other history and other theory, is its manageability: it has to do with a small area, with men rather than masses, and with the human passions of individuals rather than with those vast impersonal forces which in our modern society are a necessary convenience of thought, and the study of which tends to obscure the study of human beings."Is it kosher to campaign in this thread? Either way, having read a significant portion of the Timaeus, I'd recommend against making that the official reading selection. It's interesting in its own right, but I think we'll find ourselves in much the same position we're in with "Meditations" -- that is to say, I think we'll run out of things to say about it in rather short order. That isn't to say you shouldn't read it, particularly if you're interested in Atlantis, but I don't think it will lend itself to the sort of discussion that goes on in Book Talk. If you'd like to choose a book by Plato, I'd suggest either "Laws" or "Symposium", as I'd say those have the most material that would be suitable for argument in a group like this.
marti1900

Unread post

I voted for Thomas Paine because the language is so beautiful, and so much of what he says seems relevent to today's current events.Marti in Mexico
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Timaeus and Critias by Plato
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

I voted for Thomas Paine because the language is so beautiful, and so much of what he says seems relevent to today's current events.My browser doesn't show any votes for Paine at the moment.
yellowlight

Unread post

I ordered all three, so I have no preferance to which one is chosen. Just looking forward to some good discussions.
pctacitus

Unread post

I voted for Thucydides. I almost went with Paine, but in a month or so, I will have had enough American Revolution for awhile when I get done with a paper on the Newburgh Address. ...[T]o ignore the classics is ultimately to weaken the very foundations of our society. - James Atlas, Book Wars: What it Takes to be Educated in America
marti1900

Unread post

Well, since my original vote did not register, and since I don't want pctatitus to have to overdose on the American Revolution, and in accordance with my belief that one war is as good as another (or pretty much the same as another, the motivations are the same, only the technology changes) voted this time for Thucydides.Marti in Mexico
pctacitus

Unread post

If we don't get another response soon, I'm going to call the winner. ...[T]o ignore the classics is ultimately to weaken the very foundations of our society. - James Atlas, Book Wars: What it Takes to be Educated in America
pctacitus

Unread post

We have a winner. Thucydides. ...[T]o ignore the classics is ultimately to weaken the very foundations of our society. - James Atlas, Book Wars: What it Takes to be Educated in America

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”