• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Ch. 12: Conclusion (On the Historicity of Jesus by Richard Carrier)

#143: Jan. - Mar. 2016 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: Ch. 12: Conclusion (On the Historicity of Jesus by Richard Carrier)

Unread post

just putting a place holder here to remind me i deserve a beer if i get this far :beer:

that's an historical beer (and a very brief history it will be)

not a mythological beer, i've already had far too many of those hic! :-D

I saw a man with a tat on his big fat belly
It wiggled around like marmalade jelly
It took me a while to catch what it said
Cause I had to match the rhythm of his belly with my head
'Jesus Saves' is what it raved in a typical tattoo green
He stood on a box in the middle of the city
And he claimed he had a dream
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: Ch. 12: Conclusion (On the Historicity of Jesus by Richard Carrier)

Unread post

well this book ended up being a real surprise, of the best kind. Lot's of great ideas and info assembled in one place and a nice addition to the library.

hopefully Carriers academic qualifications will keep people like ant happy and i really think folks like DWill would really get a lot from it if they ever give it a go.
I suspect those so invested in the traditional and dogmatic views and interpretations, and those so terrified of going against ‘the consensus’, that they simply cannot countenance all that I’ve argued (no matter how soundly I’ve argued it) won’t be willing to concede this conclusion, even if God Himself descended from heaven and told them it was correct. Their careers, reputations or religious faith may rest too firmly on their past assumptions, making them impervious to change. But I can’t believe this will describe all experts, especially of the next generation, which won’t have become invested yet in any status quo (although their seniors could threaten to ‘punish’ them if they entertain such ideas, thereby maintaining historicity by argument ad baculum).

Carrier, Richard (2014-06-30). On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt Sheffield Phoenix Press. Kindle Edition.
but the only way to do justice to a book as well put together as this one is to read it :-D

i think Richard Carrier should be proud of his work, it is a great book!

Return to “On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt - by Richard Carrier”