• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Chapters 1, 2 and 3 of "The Martian" by Andy Weir

#142: Oct. - Dec. 2015 (Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Please use this thread to discuss the above referenced chapters of "The Martian" by Andy Weir.
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Re: Chapters 1, 2 and 3 of "The Martian" by Andy Weir

Unread post

I just got my copy of the Martian and watched the movie on the same day. I will refrain from comparing the two, I love the details and rich background and depth you can get out of a book. Movies are great because I can't wait sometimes to get to the punchline :)

I really like that the science seems plausible. The book I would have written (and did much research for and planning) would have been about colonizing Mars, so this may show my bias more than anything else. One thing that I do question though is their "dating" system. The book opens on Sol 6, meaning the 6th day after they landed and began their mission work, but then we find out that this is not the first mission that people were on Mars, so why isn't the dating system from the first day of the first mission on?
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

froglips wrote:
One thing that I do question though is their "dating" system. The book opens on Sol 6, meaning the 6th day after they landed and began their mission work, but then we find out that this is not the first mission that people were on Mars, so why isn't the dating system from the first day of the first mission on?
That's interesting, Sort of like a permanent Martian calendar. I don't have the answer, just a guess, but since there is no permanent independent colony it might just be simpler to keep dating on a mission by mission bases. It might be easier to convert day lengths to Earth days and time than creating a hole new calendar model, It may be just a matter of simplifying historical records here on Earth.
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

That's a good point, but then when and if they colonize Mars in that universe, which ones will they commemorate? Will there be a Mark Watley Day commemorating the first and second grown life on Mars (bacteria and potatoes)?
~froglipz~

Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I'm not a science fiction fan, but I like to try different things. So I have finished reading about 100 pages and find this story somewhat believable. The detailed, technical and repetitious problem solving gets tiresome and I found myself tempted to skip paragraphs. His style of writing, the subtle humor, making the story unbelievably cheerful as Mr. Fix-it solves every problem, is making me read on. I would like to know more about his life on earth, perhaps some personal memories, family...more character development. Hoping to find that as the story develops...reading on!
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

The first chapters are solid geek-ness. Watney is the ultimate DIY'er, painfully so in my view. Is there anything this guy can't fix? He deserves his own TV show.

Still, I agree that plausibility is key .. without that this story would be pure science fiction ... which would be ok if that's what you want, but the grounding in plausible science and technology takes this out of the realm of science fiction and turns it into a somewhat-realistic adventure story.

The way Weir dives into technology with barely a nod to 'character development' is interesting and somewhat unusual. But then this is a story about a guy stranded on Mars, not Buffalo, and science and technology are critical to his survival so I think Weir should be excused for focusing on that.

I'm about three quarter of the way through the book so I don't want to give things away, but I think its ok to say that this does become more of a human story as it progresses. I also like the humour, I think humour is one of the best ways to deal with difficult situations and crisis. And I think its one way we get to know Mark Watney.

I watched the author's video that was posted on another thread and it was helpful in understanding this book because its really clear how Andy Weir places himself on Mars through the book ... and specifically, not the first human on Mars, but perhaps the first human to die on Mars .. a clever and meaningful difference.
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

Watney is the ultimate DIY'er, painfully so in my view.
Hahaha that's perfect! I am enjoying these parts very much, but I do agree that so far we aren't really getting to know our protagonist...in fact I feel that I know some of his crewmates better than I know him. I am looking forward to a time when I get to know him a little better, since I am supposed to care about his outcome. Right now I am happy watching him solve the puzzles. This kind of reads like a complicated puzzle style video game like Myst, or rather, like the walk through.
~froglipz~

Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Thinking on it, I found the book lacked any sort of stunning revelation, which is why "The Martian" will not find membership in the pantheon of historic must reads. Its pure pop culture fetishism. Even though I found The Martian to be an absolute joy to read, Even though my linked Andy Weir interview is, in my opinion one the best ever author interviews I have witnessed, The book itself is remarkable for its portrayal of the contextual mundane. A mundane (mundane in the sense that there is a routine aspect presented by the author as to concurrent missions to Mars) scientific journey to Mars goes awry (the drama). Its a revamp of an old story, Robinson Crusoe. Maybe the sequel will introduce us to a "sol Friday" character?, but then, the book will become far-out science fiction and not just an exciting story of what may be part of the actual near future.
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

My favorite part of this book so far is the seeming plausibility of it all. I know if it really were that easy it would be fact not fiction, but it gives me hope. Space exploration and possible colonization really get my imagination going.
~froglipz~

giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

Taylor wrote:
froglips wrote:
One thing that I do question though is their "dating" system. The book opens on Sol 6, meaning the 6th day after they landed and began their mission work, but then we find out that this is not the first mission that people were on Mars, so why isn't the dating system from the first day of the first mission on?
That's interesting, Sort of like a permanent Martian calendar. I don't have the answer, just a guess, but since there is no permanent independent colony it might just be simpler to keep dating on a mission by mission bases. It might be easier to convert day lengths to Earth days and time than creating a hole new calendar model, It may be just a matter of simplifying historical records here on Earth.
No question their Sol dating system is mission based ... perhaps this is merely astronaut convenience, makes sense, its difficult enough to stay alive on Mars without introducing complications ... or maybe it reflects the way we see the solar system ? in a human/earth centered, colonialistic way ? Its interesting that the 'count up' in Sols will actually turn into a 'count down' for Mark Watney.

Return to “The Martian - by Andy Weir”