• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Other Books About Autism - Great Book Suggestion for Mental Disorders

#24: Feb. - Mar. 2006 (Fiction)
booklady
The Great Gabsby

Other Books About Autism - Great Book Suggestion for Mental Disorders

Unread post

This book blew me away as it did millions of readers and half of you have probably already read it but it deserves mentioning for those who have yet to read it and are looking for a Super Fantabulous book that you cannot put down. Natch, it was an Oprah pick and now you guys know why I am so fond of her book club. 8)

Just look at the reviews, wow:

I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb

amazon.com/I-Know-This-Much-True/dp/006 ... rd_title_0

In no way am I comparing one of the protagonists to an autisic person, nor am I in any way comparing the two and so on. The only connection I am making is mental/emotional disorders, illnesses or conditions. Just wish to make that clear.
Booklady

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
Nelson Mandela

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
George Carlin

“A classic is a book which people praise and don't read.”

"War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left."

"When I hear somebody sigh "Life is hard" I'm always tempted to ask "Compared to what?"

You never truely understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother. --Albert Einstein
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: Other Books About Autism - Great Book Suggestion for Mental Disorders

Unread post

booklady wrote:I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb
I liked this book, I liked the relationship between the brothers, and the deep family history made it that much more enjoyable. You are correct, there is an emotional disorder happening with the one brother. If you liked this one, I would suggest, "She Has Come Undone", again, Wally Lamb. I would say this is his best work. I will never forget the character of Dolores. I tried so hard to identify with her, as I try with most characters I read about, I think there is usually something you can relate to with most characters. However, with Dolores, you just get to the point when you shake your head and think, "No Dolores! What are you doing?"

I was dissapointed with his last novel. I can't even remember the title.
booklady
The Great Gabsby

Re: Other Books About Autism - Great Book Suggestion for Mental Disorders

Unread post

I have "She's Come Undone" in my mammoth TBR pile. The book got soooooooo many rave reviews all over the world. Yet, in the group I was in several years ago, they all ragged on the book incessantly. Go figure. Takes all kinds I guess. I am looking forward to it very much.

Just went to Amazon. The third book is "The hour I first believed" 127 people loved it, 44 hated it. 3.5* rating shows that you are not alone.
Booklady

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
Nelson Mandela

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
George Carlin

“A classic is a book which people praise and don't read.”

"War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left."

"When I hear somebody sigh "Life is hard" I'm always tempted to ask "Compared to what?"

You never truely understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother. --Albert Einstein

Return to “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - by Mark Haddon”