• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Chapter 11: The city of grief

#136: Feb. - Mar. 2015 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Please use this thread for discussing Chapter 11: The city of grief. :bananen_smilies085:
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Chapter 11: The city of grief

Unread post

After reading a few pages in this chapter, I decided to skip it all and move to chapter 12.

Chapter 11 was, in my opinion, the best so far. particularly the story about the physicist duping his therapist into believing he was able to travel into the future.

This chapter is simply Sagan having some strange need to parade the many people who've written him letters claiming they've been abducted by aliens.

Considering Mr. Sagan has dedicated the entire first half of the book attempting to convince his readers that all claims of abduction and other out of the ordinary phenomena are nothing but delusional fabrications, I already get his point - this chapter was some type of space filler.

I'd really like to see Sagan discuss psuedoscience in this book. he touched on it very briefly in chapter 10.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

I imagine pop culture figures receive all sorts of letters, In this chapter CS gives the reader a few that have been delivered up to him. This chapter is a response of sorts to the grief he must have felt not so much for himself or some thoughts of the letter writers, but to the out of context mischaracterization of his argument of preceding chapters from the book by Parade magazine.

I think its useful to consider that he was at least willing to put his side in the public domain for critics as well as supporters to scrutinize deeper.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Ant wrote:After reading a few pages in this chapter, I decided to skip it all and move to chapter 12.
Chapter 11 was, in my opinion, the best so far.
Which is it? Disagreeing with yourself again? Are you OK? :wink:

Return to “Demon-Haunted World: Science As a Candle in the Dark - by Carl Sagan with Ann Druyan”