• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Tempesta's Dream: Chapters 1 through 6

#127: Jan. - Mar. 2014 (Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

calaf68
Creative Writing Student

Re: Tempesta's Dream: Chapters 1 through 6

Unread post

Thank you Chris for choosing my novel. As I said before, I will be glad to answer anyone's questions during the discussion. I hope everyone enjoys the read. It was a fun book to write, and I loved meeting and getting to know the characters as I wrote it.

Chip LoCoco
New Orleans
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Your novel was chosen by just about everyone so I'm really looking forward to the discussion. As the owner of the community I don't often participate in the actual book discussions. My time is unfortunately needed on administrative things. But I did download a copy of Tempesta's Dream and will attempt to contribute as much as my time will allow. It seems Robert Tulip's endorsement of your book is what did it for me and pushed me to pick up a copy.
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

I finished it, and although the story line was promising, and I did enjoy the discussions of various operatic themes, and anecdotes of composers and singers, I found it rather predictable, and I thought the characters lacked depth
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

heledd wrote:I finished it, and although the story line was promising, and I did enjoy the discussions of various operatic themes, and anecdotes of composers and singers, I found it rather predictable, and I thought the characters lacked depth
Hi Heledd. I felt this book was written to be turned into an opera about opera. Chip could comment on that.

One of the features of operatic style is the use of dramatic stereotypes, so the characters gain in power what they lack in subtlty or uncertainty. I felt there was a raw intensity in the simple depiction of the characters, especially in the love story with Isabella, and with the passion the teacher shows.

There are some simple big parables in this story, such as that you can achieve your ambition if you have drive and dedication and talent and luck, that true love is more important than social standing, that you should follow your dreams, that everyone needs help from others, and that Italian opera is a truly magnificent art form.
calaf68
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Robert:

I love your comment that the book was written to be turned into an opera about opera. To be honest, that was not on my radar, but I do think you are on to something.

There is no question, at its core, the novel is a tribute to the majesty and beauty of opera. So, in that regard, it does take on a few characteristics of opera, which you summed up very nicely relative to stereotypes.

You also, better than anyone who has reviewed the book, nailed the simple, yet profound meaning behind the story. In today's cynical world, those simple "truths" are laughed at and thought to be "pie in the sky." But I disagree. I am sure that is do to my strong Sicilian heritage. Those aspirations and dreams were the bedrock of every Italian or Sicilian who made the trek on a boat to come to America. And being from a large Sicilian family, and a proud Italian/American, I still believe people strive to believe those simple truths, even though our society does everything it can to tell you it is an unrealistic view of life.

I always thought the story would make a great movie, because of the music. But, like I said above, an opera about opera is an interesting concept.

Chip LoCoco
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

But Robert how can I do that? Opera supplies the drama and depth through music. Books have only words to rely on. I cant read it as if it were an opera, cos its not
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Heledd, if it were about another topic I might agree with you, but with opera the magic and drama rub off onto the story. A libretto is by necessity nowhere near as detailed as a book, and like a movie script a libretto has to serve as a light frame for the visual and sonic impact. What I think Chip has done here is create the imaginative vision and sound of an opera, with the sense of glamour and skill and risk backed up by some of the most sublime music in history, in Verdi and Puccini.

I also think the relationships between the characters here are what really brings the novel to life. They may seem a bit wooden as individuals, but their meeting and interaction creates some powerful emotional moments.

I have had an ambivalent attitude towards opera. It is a somewhat old fashioned art form, with singers having to project their voice in an unnatural way due to the absence of amplification. The introduction of electrical instruments over the last century has made opera into something of a museum piece. I have always loved classical music though, but for me it was instrumental music first, then solo voice, with opera something I never really got, partly because singing in foreign languages is hard to follow even with subtitles.

But something about this story just grabbed me. There is a sense that in Milan opera is a living tradition driven by powerful and passionate individuals. As Chip commented, the themes of this book can seem cliched from a cynical point of view, but that does not really detract from their power and importance.
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

“Tempesta’s Dream”, Chapters 1-6
I was familiar with the story and the music of “Madama Butterfly” and the fact that the story ends so tragically. The fact that the author uses this in the prologue seemed to me like a foreboding of what’s to come in the book. Since Giovanni lost his father at an early age, could not talk to his mother about his feelings, did not have a girlfriend, and felt that his life was being wasted makes him (in my eyes) a loner, a dreamer, an artist who loves his music. “A singer who sings this music with passion can really touch your heart…”
The description of his meeting with Isabella and the balcony scene, I feel, was written in a somewhat simplistic way and made me smile: “This was love! Amore. He couldn’t take his eyes off of hers. She couldn’t take her eyes off of his…” Not criticizing, just recognizing that perhaps I’m too old and cynical.
The descriptions of Milan and Italian life were interesting. I really identified with Giovanni when he’s told by Toscano that it’s too late for his career and to give up his dream of becoming an operatic singer. That’s pretty much what people told me about writing and publishing my book.
I found the history of Casa di Riposo interesting. I assume that’s a true fact, I did not know that Verdi had established such a place.
That's all, didn't want to be too long-winded...reading on…
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Crystalline, your mention of the tragic end of Madame Butterfly illustrates that this novel is not really as predictable as Heledd suggested. There is a sense in which creative talent is always on the edge, teetering between triumph and disaster, as Kipling put in in If.

I have not seen The Force of Destiny by Verdi, but now looking at the plot summary, I am sure that Chip has seen it, since the first act is much the same as this book. I was prompted to think of this opera title because of the sense of destiny that hovers in this story. I felt a tantalising sense of wonder through the book about whether it would end in triumph or disaster.

Return to “Tempesta's Dream: A Story of Love, Friendship and Opera - by Vincent B. "Chip" LoCoco”