• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Ch. 12: Forgery and The Mormon Church

#123: Sept. - Nov. 2013 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

KayR
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!
United States of America

Re: Ch. 12: Forgery and The Mormon Church

Unread post

This chapter really gives a context to the recent Mormon directive that doubters should not be ostracized. I hadn't realized what a sea change this represents, and I would love to have been a fly on the wall during the discussions that led up to the announcement. Couple this with the new Pope's recent announcements and I'm actually becoming hopeful that religions are beginning to feel the pressure of rational critical thinking.
Well, may be that's an overly rosy dream fantasy...
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: Ch. 12: Forgery and The Mormon Church

Unread post

Not sure what else I can add to this chapter and KayR's comment. As to the changes in position of the Mormon hierarchy, I personally view it as pragmatism rather than theological change. While most members of the LDS faith still reside in Utah and environs (Eastern Idaho, Western Wyoming, Northern Arizona, etc.), you find htem more and more in other parts of the U.S., and the world. In order to interact with non-Mormons, they must adapt; there is no longer a western frontier to flee to.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “The Complete Heretic's Guide to Western Religion: The Mormons - by David Fitzgerald”