• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

“Society is the enemy of humanity."

#116: Feb. - April 2013 (Fiction)
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

“Society is the enemy of humanity."

Unread post

In Chapter 3, The Man Who Was Thursday Syme, impersonating an anarchist, says, “Society is the enemy of humanity.”
Does this reflect the romantic idea of mankind at Chesterton's time, (the Noble Savage of Mary Shelly's Frankenstein) that man is ultimately good and becomes perverted by the forces of society?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: “Society is the enemy of humanity."

Unread post

Expand on that idea. What societal forces are bad for us? I'm not reading the book, but I'm reading the posts.

Just surface level speculation, I'd think there's a mix of good and bad.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Of course Mary Shelley was a lot earlier than Chesterton, but it's not hard to see how radicals might have picked up on the idea that Shelley plays with for part of the book, that society makes the monster truly a monster. Society as a corrupting influence did appear to originate with the Romantics, but it didn't become politicized until later.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

Interbane,with respect to TMWWT I am sorry but your request is like when my wife wakes up with 2 minutes remaining in the movie having slept through the first 118 and asks why that guy is doing that.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Pheidippides
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

GREAT topic :!:

If anything, it highlights the glaring difference between anarchy and the Christian conception of man and his(our) nature. The anarchist position obviously maintains that humans are naturally good and that we would figure things out on our own. I'm not certain if we are bad from birth, but I would believe that without government, we would degenerate into a Lord of the Flies situation very quickly. I would argue that the Christian idea is more realistic in this light. Then again, even a small band of people can be considered to be a "government." I'm finding a lot of "consensus decision making" and other non-government, government solutions that anarchists espouse. :?
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Interbane,with respect to TMWWT I am sorry but your request is like when my wife wakes up with 2 minutes remaining in the movie having slept through the first 118 and asks why that guy is doing that.
:lol:

Point taken. I wish you'd answer your own questions then. I mean no offense, but I won't be reading this book, although it interests me. I'm casually following the thread is all and it piqued my interest.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams

Return to “The Man Who Was Thursday - by G. K. Chesterton”