• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy; chapters 11-15

#112: Oct. - Dec. 2012 (Fiction)
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy; chapters 11-15

Unread post

THE HITCHHIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
Douglas Adams

Chapters 11-15
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Re: The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy; chapters 11-15

Unread post

Poor Arthur - we find out in these chapters that Arthur had a romantic interest (Tricia MacMillan aka Trillian) snatched away by a 2 headed alien named Phil (aka Zaphod). Ok, "Phil" was hiding his extra head but still Arthur came out on the losing end and he's quite cross about it. In this way, I think we are encouraged to like Arthur Dent. He is in a terrible predicament, having lost everything, quite literally, except his own life, but what he gets riled up about is Tricia. Very human.

We are introduced to the planet of Magrathea towards the end of this section. I think its an interesting concept ... planet building ... and Adams introduces it like its not much more significant or difficult than condo building. I see a couple bits of Adams philosophy here, around 'creationism' (in this case, by the Magrathean's not by God who disappeared in a puff of logic earlier) and also around sustainability ... the Maragathea's are too successful for their own good, impoverishing everyone else and killing the market for 'luxury planets', thus sealing their fate. Condo builders beware! This is more economic than environmental sustainability but still I think Adams is advancing the notion that endless development will reach barriers.
ginof
Sophomore

Unread post

perhaps a bit egoistic, but the thought of loosing a potential lover to a person with two heads, well, I think it would damage the ego! :x

You just can tell that Arthur has not been successful with the ladies, and this might just push him over the edge. Particularly since she's the last potential mate left! As in: not if you were the last man left on earth!
just thinking (I hope)
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

Up to this point in the book, we have met quite a few machines with personalities. From doors that open with self-satisfied whirrs and clicks (to Marvin's disgust), to Marvin the paranoid android to Eddie the ship board computer. My personal favourite is Eddie's 'alternate' personality who emerges as they approach the mysterious planet Margrathea and who reproaches our heroes with a great line as they disembark; "it will all end in tears, you know" because she is upset. "Her" earlier line about promising not to play with 'bug-eyed monsters' is funny too.

But looking beyond the humour, I wonder what folks think about this machines-with-personalities thing? It could be just a comic device but I think Adams intends more than that. He is commenting on a world where machines take charge and where humans are relegated to servicing and serving those machines. Machines with minds of their own, so where does that leave us? How far are we from machines (including but not limited to computers) that start acting of their own volition? I think Adams foresees this world, and he does a great job of framing it comically, but maybe he is also seriously suggesting that machines will get the better of us.

Perhaps we have all had the experience where a machine or device seems to have a mind of its own. I had an odd one a few days ago - an automatic light that is supposed to come on after dark if it senses movement wasn't working. I walked about and waved at it and jumped up and down and still nothing (felt a bit idiotic) so I figured the bulbs were out ... I bought bulbs and got a ladder to go up there and fix it when, lo and behold, the lights came on! I am convinced these lights have a mind of their own ... I listened closely for self-satisfied whirrs or clicks but heard nothing, actually I felt like Marvin for a moment ... :P
ginof
Sophomore

Unread post

A machine with a personality. Interesting. What would really be wild is if the personality were self changing, based on the experience of the machine. With a random component. Hey, that's human!

An interesting use of such machines would be to help shut ins, elderly, or anyone who is lonely. We see the behavior today with pets. Some people find it easier to relate to a pet than to other humans. Some people prefer the company of pets. Perhaps the robots would be bad for the pet business, as you would not have to clean up after the robot (i think)!

To be honest, I prefer human contact, and would like my robots without the personality quirks. Particularly Marvin's. But I realize that's just me. I'm sure that others will feel different.
just thinking (I hope)
sal10e
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I have enjoyed up to this point the machines with personalities, particularly the Eddie the shipboard computer who remains cheerful despite Zaphod repeatedly yelling at him. Marvin is interesting in that he is a machine that is depressed and like many people who suffer from depression he is pretty much ignored and no one tries to help him...I feel a bit sorry for Marvin. The doors I find to be interesting in that they are just happy being good at their job, albeit a simple one. I feel like DA is commenting on people's moods and thought processes and that like the machines they often don't make sense. The person who has great intelligence (like Marvin) often is never happy, but a simpler person finds great joy in life (the doors).

In reading Giselle's post about machines acting of their own volition I couldn't help but think of the iphone where it will talk with you, find what you need, cancel meetings, act as your planner etc. I like the comic relief and the point(s) the author is trying to get across with his machines, but the thought of machines having their own thoughts, or even talking like the iphone creeps me out a bit. Needless to say I will be sticking with the iphone 4- so that sari doesn't talk to me.
ginof
Sophomore

Unread post

Adams was apparently a big Mac fan. I'm sure he'd be all over Siri and phones/computers with personality.
just thinking (I hope)

Return to “The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - by Douglas Adams”