• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

A Visit From the Goon Squad, Pure Language

#105: Mar. - April 2012 (Fiction)
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

A Visit From the Goon Squad, Pure Language

Unread post

A VISIT FROM THE GOON SQUAD
Jennifer Egan

Chapter 13: Pure Language
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Re: A Visit From the Goon Squad, Pure Language

Unread post

I was wondering about the obscene language in the book: I thought it was yet another attempt of an author at being cool or attracting attention until I read this chapter. This generation only says shucks and golly. Another clever way of Egan's of differentiating the generations. She does this not only by use of time but of language as well. I admit to having struggled through the texting, but it, as PowerPoint, is a means of communication more so for some than for others. Real internet natives.
One thing I really do admire with Egan is her device of using texting even with a toddler/baby which is sitting directly across from Lulu instead of just speaking to her or cuddling her. I feel this is one of the major themes in the novel anyway--people in all generations being unable to communicate with each other (either directly, verbally, sexually, texting, etc). The interaction is never long and doesn't last. A lot of the relationships were simply sexual....the bare-bones, base relationships, if you will. This is what the texting itself was: groupings of the only most essential letters in order to get a message/relationship across. Lulu "t-ing" Alex who was in the process of talking with her at the table. Cara-Ann being delighted about the message Lulu sent her, etc. A very disturbing chapter--a very disturbing future.l Babies reviving a dead industry and bringing music back!
Could we possibly, as Suzanne suggests, get a thread going on music in the novel?
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes

Return to “A Visit from the Goon Squad - by Jennifer Egan”