• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

A Visit From the Goon Squad; Safari

#105: Mar. - April 2012 (Fiction)
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

A Visit From the Goon Squad; Safari

Unread post

A VISIT FROM THE GOON SQUAD
Jennifer Egan

Chapter: Safari
heledd
Doctorate

Re: A Visit From the Goon Squad; Safari

Unread post

We meet the 39 year old Lou, with his two oldest children, 11 year old Rolph and 14 year old Charlene (Charlie). They are on Safari in Africa, and Lou has brought along his latest girl friend, Mindy.
‘Lou is one of those men whose restless charm has generated a contrail of personal upheaval that is practically visible behind him: two failed marriages, and two more kids back home in LA…’
It is 1973. In this chapter, I notice for the first time talk of future events (prolepsis). We are told that the handsome Samburu warrior will die in tribal conflict, and that his grandson will become an expert in visual robotic technology and live in New York, that in four years time Charlie will develop a cocaine habit and nearly die after joining a cult, that Mindy, the current girlfriend will marry Lou, but be penniless to bring up his two children, and that Rolph, the quiet and reflective favourite son will shoot himself in the head at the age of 28.
Does knowing these future events make a difference to our reading of the different characters? I think it does. I feel far more sympathy for Mindy than I did otherwise, for example.
Also, the link between the epigraph and the contents of the book are becoming clearer.
‘ ..- mostly the reunions will lead to a mutual discovery that having been on safari thirty –five years before doesn’t qualify as having much in common, and they’ll part ways wondering what, exactly, they’d hoped for’.
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

Also I wanted to ask - do you (if there's anyone there) prefer to read a book in it's entirety before commenting, or do you prefer to comment as you go along. I prefer the latter, because i often forget or change my first impressions when I read further.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I prefer to comment while I am reading. For me it is easier to interact with other members when the chapter is fresh in my mind. I am always curious to hear what others discover in a chapter that I may have missed. This is difficult to do when you have finished. After reading your comments in chapter one I had to re read it. The prose in this novel is written very plainly, yet I don't believe the novel is plain at all.
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

After reading on a little, I was struck at how Egan often uses bird song at crucial moments. And it is in this chapter chat that birds are mentioned first. We have the two lady bird watchers, who wear their binoculars even at night, always promising to take Lou with them, but they never do. It is the thougtfull Rolph who comments that '...maybe when there are no birds they watch people' before suddenly coming to the conclusion 'I don't think those ladies were ever watching birds'.
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Unread post

Ooooh, that was a really good point about the birds, Heledd--I never would have noticed. But you're right! I'm still trying to figure out the fish Scotty gives Bennie!
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

Oh the fish was so funny! I'm not sure of the relevance either, but it was pure comedy
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

heledd wrote:Oh the fish was so funny! I'm not sure of the relevance either, but it was pure comedy
The delivery of a fish also represents bad news when sent to one by a goon or member of the American Mafia.

Return to “A Visit from the Goon Squad - by Jennifer Egan”