• In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Day 9 - Emilia (Faith)

#91: Dec. 2010 - Jan. 2011 (Fiction)
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Day 9 - Emilia (Faith)

Unread post

Here begins the Ninth Day, wherein, under the rule of Emilia, it is left to all the members of the company to speak on whatever subject they choose.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Re: Day 9 - Emilia (Faith)

Unread post

This picture belongs to the 5th day....do you remember which story? :)
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Re: Day 9 - Emilia (Faith)

Unread post

Hey everyone, (DWill lol), I've finished reading the Decameron and will just post some of my thoughts on this day and the next. I don't think I'll comment on the author's epilogue other than to say it was highly amusing to me.

As we get closer to the end of the book, we're supposed to see ever increasing instances of virtuosity and endings that leave us feeling morally uplifted in some way or at least not feeling like we've witnessed a crime as some stories in the earlier part of D. may have made readers feel.

In the introduction to the 9th day we are again taken back to nature and reminded of the beneficial recourse to primitive comforts when confronted with civilization's various plagues. Plague is specifically mentioned so that we may not forget the reason for the group's activities and to also give the impression that the destruction of civilization would bring man closer to nature and perhaps closer to god.

"Either these people will not be vanquished by death, or they will welcome it with joy." The group is in paradise.

1st Filomena
I liked this story and it shows, as other stories have, how great and mighty the force of Love is. Very funny story.

2nd Elissa

"...the good sense shown by the lady in ridding herself of those she had no wish to love was praised by the whole of the company, who one and all described not as love but as folly the daring presumption of the lovers." I don't know if he got this translation right or not but I had a hard time understanding what he means by it.

"a great many people are foolish enough to instruct and condemn their fellow creatures." Very sound advice here.

This tale seems a similar version to one we've heard already but from the female point of view.

"undeterred by the envy of those of her fellow nuns, without lovers, who consoled themselves in secret as best they could." HAHA!!

3rd Filostrato
Good! Another Calandrino story!!!
Poor Calandrino's wife - she was beaten and now publicly humiliated for enjoying sex with her husband.
This story was hysterical!!!

4th Neifile
This is a sober tale of mob law and keen insight into human behavior. This story begs to be picked apart and analyzed. To have someone believe in themselves so thoroughly despite the fact they're wrong - and be so egotistical and self serving so as to have the ability to convince others of their veracity and to help them with their wickedness... amazing.

5th Fiammetta
Calandrino Story!
Calandrino's wooing is pretty funny. Another highly amusing story about the man.

6th Panfilo
This is one of the best stories in the D. and probably the first time where a male character thinks twice about consummating his love for fear of public censure of himself and his lady.

7th Pampinea
"A mangy dog never thanks you for coming its pelt." lol
This woman clearly should be taught a lesson in my belief. She disobeys her husband's simple request. He didn't ask for much and he did it with her safety in mind.
"Her recovery was not complete, however, for the whole of her throat and a part of her face were so badly disfigured that whereas she was formerly a beautiful woman, she was thenceforth deformed and utterly loathsome to look upon. Hence she was ashamed to show herself in public, and shed many a bitter tear for her petulant ways and her refusal to give credence, when it would have cost her nothing, to her husband's prophetic dream."

When people are taught a lesson in the D. they do so by incurring such horrible consequences for their actions. What I mean is, take for instance the boy who cried wolf story we're all familiar with. There are multiple versions. In one version the boy has his sheep eaten, in another he is eaten himself, and in a third he is barely rescued by the townspeople. The lesson is the same but the consequences vary. If the story was contained in the D. the boy would surely have been eaten it seems or all his sheep eaten and himself disfigured before he was rescued.

In this story not only the lady suffers but the man as well. Where as before he had a woman who was ugly on the inside he now has one that is ugly on the outside as well. She was wrong for not listening to her husband and he was wrong for marrying such a proud, obstinate bitch.

This story also contains superstition and dream warnings as we've seen before but with a different flavor this time.

8th Lauretta
As for the dream?... "what Talano had seen in his sleep was no dream, but rather a vision, as it corresponded so exactly with what had actually taken place." Ok so it was a vision rather than a dream - Well, that's hard to argue seeing how he was asleep when he had it. There must be another word for it. I can't figure it out so I'll do what man has done for ages when he's confronted with something he's too lazy to figure out - I'll say it was god.

This was a proper story for our queen of justice to tell but not very memorable or entertaining.

9th Queen

I'll make a separate post of this little gem.

Conclusion

on tomorrow's topic "the telling and the hearing of such things will assuredly fill you with a burning desire, well disposed as you already are in spirit, to comport yourselves valorously. And thus our lives, which cannot otherwise be other than brief in these mortal bodies, will be preserved by the fame of our achievements - a goal which every man who does not simply attend to his belly, like an animal, should not only desire but most zealously pursue and strive to attain."

You get the feeling B. is giving the reason for the D.

Return to “The Decameron - by Giovanni Boccaccio”