• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Good Omens and the Book of Revelation

#86: June - Aug. 2010 (Fiction)
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Good Omens and the Book of Revelation

Unread post

Since this book is a satirical/parody take on the apocalypse as put forth in the Book of Revelation, I thought I'd share a few links here so that those who are unfamiliar with the Book of Revelation can have a firmer understanding of the foundations of Good Omens and the fun it pokes at this view of the end of world, and religion in general.

Book of Revelation on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Revelation

Link to the Book of Revelation directly, from the King James Bible:
quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/k/kjv/kjv-idx?ty ... te=5379618

Understanding the Book of Revelation from Frontline: Apocalypse on PBS.com:
pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/apoc ... white.html

I hope this helps, and that everyone's ready for the hilarious end of the world! :clap:
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: Good Omens and the Book of Revelation

Unread post

I will read Good Omens. A Booktalk thread on Revelation is at http://www.booktalk.org/new-testament-r ... t7767.html
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Re: Good Omens and the Book of Revelation

Unread post

Thanks, Robert!

I would like to try to go into Good Omens with an objective view of Revelation, however, because in order for the book to be funny, it can't be taken seriously. The BookTalk thread will be helpful as to some views on Revelation, and I am definitely welcoming religious questioning and discussion, but I'd like to keep it light hearted, because this book is not an attack on Christianity or any of its beliefs, but a rather unorthodox spoof on what could happen if Armageddon were to happen and go awry. Obviously the religious implications are there, but I want it to be quite clear that the intentions of the book are only to amuse and entertain, and not tear down anyone's beliefs or religion.

That said, is everyone ready to get to it? ;)

Return to “Good Omens - by Neil Gaiman”