• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Ch. 1 - Sailing Dreams

#83: June - Aug. 2010 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Ch. 1 - Sailing Dreams

Unread post

Ch. 1 - Sailing Dreams
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: Ch. 1 - Sailing Dreams

Unread post

I'm waiting for my copy to arrive, I'm looking forward to the start of the discussion.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I've read about half of the book as of this afternoon.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I have finished reading this book. When I got it, I was surprised to learn that the one "alone" in the sea was so young.

Has anyone heard or read in the news about the 16 year old girl from Australia who sailed around the globe. It took her seven months, and, she did it solo. I heard of this, this morning, and the strenthg of character this young girl has is quite amazing.

It really put me in the mood to read "Alone", although one story is a happy one, and the other is tragic.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:I have finished reading this book. When I got it, I was surprised to learn that the one "alone" in the sea was so young.

Has anyone heard or read in the news about the 16 year old girl from Australia who sailed around the globe. It took her seven months, and, she did it solo. I heard of this, this morning, and the strenthg of character this young girl has is quite amazing.

It really put me in the mood to read "Alone", although one story is a happy one, and the other is tragic.
Yes, Jessica Watson has been hailed as a hero. Ten thousand people met her when she sailed in to Sydney Harbour. She didn't go far enough into the northern hemisphere to get recognised in the official record though. I am planning to do something similarly audacious by towing a ball of fresh water from New Zealand to Australia. I will have to read Alone. The cruel sea.

See http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Thanks for posting this site Robert, this is from one of Jessica Watson's blog posts:

I don't normally bother addressing critics because someone's always going to be saying something, no matter what I say or do. But I thought I'd have my 2 bobs worth on these claims that I haven't 'officially' sailed around the world.

Call me immature but I've actually been having a bit of a giggle over the whole thing. If I haven't been sailing around the world, then it beats me what I've been doing out here all this time! Yes it's a shame that my voyage won't be recognized by a few organizations because I'm under 18, but it really doesn't worry me.

I mean there's millions, properly billions of people who still don't believe in global warming, so I'm more than happy to settle for a few people going against the tide and declaring that mine hasn't been an official circumnavigation. Well I think I've wasted more than enough time on the whole petty debate - so moving on!

Have you known about this all along? I wish I did, I would have kept track of her. This is unbelievable.

Off topic, sorry.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I've just finished reading "Alone: Orphaned on the Ocean" and want to encourage those of you sitting on the fence to get a copy and join the discussion. This book kept me mesmerized from start to finish. I finished it in two days which is fast for me.

Arthur Duperrault had such good intentions when he planned the sailing vacation with his family. To think something so good and wholesome could turn so evil is just horrifying. This could have happened to anyone. It could have been you or me on the boat....or in a similar situation. How the heck could Arthur have known the hidden nature of Julian Harvey. Few did. This sort of stuff scares me. Any of us at any time could draw a bad hand in life and meet the wrong person. There are sociopaths and psychopaths walking amongst us everyday and statistically some of us are going to get hurt by them.
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

I have ordered my copy and should be receiving it any day. Sounds like it is a fast read.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Yes, it is a fast. I couldn't put it down once I started. In fact I read about half of the book out loud to my wife. She loved it too.
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

Good idea, Chris, maybe I'll read it out loud to my husband, though that will take me a little longer to get through, unless I get the book today as we're heading out to the quiet wilderness for the weekend where reading has few interruptions.

Return to “ALONE: Orphaned on the Ocean - by Richard Logan & Tere Duperrault Fassbender”