• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Interesting Choral Music

#81: April - May 2010 (Non-Fiction)
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Interesting Choral Music

Unread post

As a kid and then a teenager, I was in special choirs which were fairly prestigious and hard to get into. I mentioned this to some degree in my post in the "What is your relationship with music thread," but since I'm bored and awake and have nothing better to do while some other esoteric music downloads, I thought I'd share some links to some of the songs I sang in those choirs. I don't have any of the videos of my specific choir, as we were performing long before digital video and uploading was possible, but these newer choirs are singing the same songs, and just as well, so I thought I'd let everyone else hear some of the music that has helped to shape my relationship with music. With the exception of one song, these are all songs I have performed live (with the choirs, of course).

Las Amarillas, a Mexican folk song arranged for SSA (soprano, soprano, alto), a capella, by Stephen Hatfield
youtube.com/watch?v=bwGLCflWCkM&fea ... re=related

Noel Nouvelet, a French Christmas song, don't know the arranger
youtube.com/watch?v=pSJcubYF92A&fea ... re=related

Deo Gracias, from Benjamin Britten's A Ceremony of Carols
youtube.com/watch?v=i7kRoqAsxQ4&fea ... re=related

Dilmano Dilbero, a Bulgarian folk song arranged by Philip Koutev*
youtube.com/watch?v=sTsvGzRk7Y8&fea ... re=related

Awake O North Wind, from Daniel Pinkham's Wedding Cantata
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPNRI4AvMbg

Daniel Pinkham's Wedding Cantata (complete)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePd-v8x-2g4

Make Our Garden Grow, from the musical Candide, by Leonard Bernstein
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka9isEPQfxs

The Lord Bless You and Keep You, SATB (soprano, alto, tenor, bass) by John Rutter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6KM6kM-fU8 (To this day this song makes me cry like a baby.)

We sang so much more, but I think this is a decent taste of what it was like. Sometimes I miss it a lot, but I try not to dwell on the past. I hope you all enjoy these examples of fine choral music. :)

*I didn't actually sing this song, but the group a few years ahead of me did, and I'm not sure this is the exact arrangement, either, but it's close enough, and this was always one of my favorite of the songs the older choir kids sang.
Kalato
Getting Comfortable

Re: Interesting Choral Music

Unread post

Great choral music samples! I am listening as long as El Nino is raging out there, and today is a good one.

The Bulgarian Folk song reminded me of the time I was part of an all girls high school choir and we did some limited traveling singing Austrian folk songs. We did this, because the boys had to take solid geometry class and according to the educational standards at that time girls did not have the aptitude for that. We also took cooking classes. Once I came to this country I promptly studied engineering and took some solid geometry classes without a problem. In any case our folk songs were not nearly as dynamic as this piece. For one, an audience of Volkswagen Werke retirees all had fallen asleep by the end of the concert.

I have a real fondness of gospel choirs. The best one I ever heard was at the Berkelee College of Music some time back.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Re: Interesting Choral Music

Unread post

Thank you for sharing your experiences with choral music! I had hoped this thread would generate some discussion. :)

As for geometry and engineering, of course you are capable of learning them, and I'm very glad that you did just that once you came to the U.S.! I bet you're doing better than those boys who learned it in school because they had to, anyway, because when you want to learn something, you retain it better than when you "have to." ;)

Return to “Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain - by Oliver Sacks”