Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:24 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Need some opinions 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

Post Need some opinions
As a new author there is one thing I'm struggling with the most when writing. Since I am writing romance it is kind of a given that sex will be involved. So I'm curious as to what kind of sex scenes you like to read about. When you read a sex scene in a book do you prefer the nice versions where they don't really explain what's going on and just leave it up to you, the reader to kind of imagine it, or do you like scenes like 50 Shades of Grey where they get down to the nitty gritty? If you prefer not to answer here feel free to PM me.

Thanks,

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/294024

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:15 am
Profile WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Almost Comfortable

Post Re: Need some opinions
Try not to get upset: Honestly, this is a silly question.
Consider what you're asking and how many different opinions you're going to get...
You can't plz everyone, so don't try cause everyone likes sex and there are a ton of books that depict it in a hundred or more ways; each with itsown loyal reader—many which read it specifically 'cause it's one way over another way.
It's your book; they're your characters; in what ways would they have sex...depends on you, the setting, the context.

You're a writer.
WRITE IT!!!

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:39 am
Profile Email
Pop up Book Fanatic

I have no reason to get upset though I don't really think it's a silly question. You are actually the only one that has responded to my inquiry. I was kind of trying to get a poll on how many like which kind. I do appreciate your comment though. Thank you.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/294024

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
Finally Comfortable

I like brief sex scenes.

But then again, that's my own opinion. I don't really like drawn out romance parts.
I cringed everytime there was one in the Hunger Games

But you are the sailor of your own ship. Steer it as you may.

The following user would like to thank SkywardGnost for this post:
MaryBeard
Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:04 pm
Profile Email
Finally Comfortable

If you want some good examples of sex scenes, I'd check out John Green's looking for Alaska and Atonement by Ian McEwan.

Both use sex for a purpose. I would see how they wrote them and why, and what led up to these scenes and how they were executed.

There's a lot more examples out there I'm sure, but those two just popped up in my mind at the time.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:01 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Way Beyond Awesome

If you want graphic sex, try reading a Harold Robbins novel - any of them.

For myself, I like the sex in a novel to be understated, and usually off-camera. One of the sexiest passages I ever read dealt with a couple who read romantic poetry to each other, getting more and more turned on. The section ended with... "We read no more that night."

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:38 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One with Books

Silver Contributor

it also depends on how and more importantly, why, it is written and who is reading it.

a well written sex scene that verges on too graphic for some, may yet trump a more subtle sex scene that is poorly written, even a reader who prefers a more subtle sex scene may vote for the more graphic scene simply because it is better written, the quality of the writing is key for me, perhaps moreso than the subject at times.

for example if the scene starts "Delores felt excitement as her slender fingers ran through Carlos' thick wavy hair....." well i've put it down already, unless i need a laugh.

but if it starts

"this was wrong, all three of them knew it was dangerous, everything they knew told them it was a point of no return, but somehow the memo never got through to their organs and the chemicals in their bloodstreams didn't seem to care a single iota...."

i might read on a little further.. :lol:

The following user would like to thank youkrst for this post:
MaryBeard, Rajesh
Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:12 pm
Profile Email
Pop up Book Fanatic

Hey, if you want to learn the craft of writing sex scenes, check out some Jackie Collins novels. :)

Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:46 am
Profile Email
Finally Comfortable

Just don''t check out fifty shades of gray.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:19 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Go with the scene you would like to read.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:18 pm
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

Hello I really want to look into this book. I know it is a master piece in its kind but I still would like some advice!

'The Adventures of Captain Bonneville by Washington Irving'

Here is where I found it : https://amzn.to/2OgGSgT

Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:28 am
Profile Email
Getting Comfortable

A piece of advice: just be yourself. It’s what you can handle writing. I have read novels with very ouvert sex scenes where I nearly flipped but nevertheless enjoyed the book; I’ve also read books with very watered down sex scenes but nevertheless the book was interesting. In my novel, Irrevocable Consequence, I included a mild sex scene and two more MEMORABLE sex scenes but it tied in with the emotional connection of my two characters who loved each other so it all flowed nicely. Check out my book, Irrevocable Consequence when you get a chance and let me know what you think, I obviously knew my mother would read the book but the moral of the story is the sex scene is just a drop in the ocean compared to the more riveting plot. Just be you and be comfortable with your writing! :)

Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:49 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.