• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

How do you find a good agent?

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Rancher1
Permanent Ink Finger

How do you find a good agent?

Unread post

Does anyone know how to find a good agent?

I have been writing now for awhile and have been doing very well however it has gotten to the point where I need an agent.

I was just hoping that maybe someone on here can help me with the next step.

Thank you.

Rancher1 :)
nova
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Re: How do you find a good agent?

Unread post

Hello Rancher,

Getting an agent? Google Literary Agents and start looking for a fit. Some of them have blogs.

My experience? I can not get one. Why? It depends on what you write. I write fiction. Fiction, for a first time author, is not a promising field. It is said there are more people writing fiction than reading it.

I have a book out, as of right now, it is ranked 9,245 in Fiction in Amazon. I still can not get an agent.

If you are not writing fiction, then you have a better chance. Diet books are always good.

I wish you the best.
Carolyn Sue Morris
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Hello Rancher..
I, too, have been looking into agaents. It's amazing what you can find. I have checked into one. Was accepted, then discovered "Strongly Not Reccommended" on a website called P&E Literary Agents. I haven't completed the list, but I think it's very helpful in weeding out the bad. It was suggested to me by Dr Paradise, a wonderful author himself. You might check there first. I have written 2 non-fiction books, poetry, and am working on a Childrens Book Series. So my range is a little too out there. I wish you well. What do you genre do you write? :D
Carolyn Sue Morris
Rancher1
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Thanks for the tips. :)

I write a broad range of things from non fiction to fiction. I currently have a book out that is doing great that is a murder/mystery/romance, it is the start of a series of seven.

I also have a book that is a collection of true short stories that is really getting a great following with another coming out anyday. :D

I am ten books into writing a children series. I am just waiting on illustrations to go to press.

I also have twenty seven other books in different stages of being finished on my plate.

So I understand the broad range Carolyn.
Carolyn Sue Morris
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Rancher1
You are a busy, busy, man. I have to admire all the avenues of your work. I would be overwhelmed at the amount of genre's listed above. One thing would never be was bored. Good luck with all your projects. I will check back from time to time to see your progress.
Carolyn Sue Morris
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

To find a good agent, you have to be a successful author. There are exceptions, but they are rare. Doing well is a good thing but until you have a title which sells 4,000 copies you will probably not attract an agent's attention. That being said the book publishing industry in changing dramatically and there is less and less that an agent does that you can't do yourself.

If you are selling well on Amazon and others you should be doing well unless you are paying through the nose to a POD. You are doing all the work and they are taking all of the money. If you are, you should know that there are alternatives.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Carolyn Sue Morris
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Hi stahrwe,
I have to agree about them wanting you to be successful before they will talk to you. If I was already successful I definately wouldn't need them. I have also noticed that they do expect you to more & more of your own marketing, or at least to already have a reader base. May as well do it yourself. In a perfect world, there would be a traditional publisher that would be willing to take a chance on someone new. Now there's a good fantasy. Of course I live in a dream world anyway. That's what I've been told.
Carolyn Sue Morris
Rancher1
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Thanks everyone for your tips. :)

I was contacted by a companie that would like to market me. I am in the process of checking them out.

I will let you know what the outcome is.
Puneet Chadha

Unread post

Internet is the best solution from where you can find out your good agent.
Gao Yu Qing
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Good luck. I find it interesting to read the different views on here of agents after spending a lot of time researching them. Reading the agent websites they all seem to be interested in new authors-even ones new to the field. So tell me, what are you published authors doing to get yours in print? Self publishing? Or submitting to the publishers directly? As a FYI, I'd strongly reccomend you go with an agent that's a member of the Association of Authors' Representatives. They are licenced and have all signed an ethical contract.
http://aaronline.org

Return to “Author's Lounge”