• In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The World of Jeeves-P.G. Wodehouse

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Christabel Behr
Official Newbie!

The World of Jeeves-P.G. Wodehouse

Unread post

I am new to this book group-just joining today. My old Mystery book club has not been meeting due to covid and so I have been greatly missing the book discussions. I am currently reading The World of Jeeves-by P.G. Wodehouse. It is not normally a book I would have picked off a shelf. I found it at a garage sale in the free pile along with several other books about 2 years ago. Since our local library has been closed, I have been reading through the books I already have at home and it came up next on my list. I am up to page 51 of about 650 and am rather enjoying it. It so far has been a fast read. I like how Bertie is so laid back and things don't always turn out the way he wants them to, but it so far kind of all turns out ok still in the end. Has anyone else read this book? Is this a favorite of anyone?
brian douglas
Permanent Ink Finger

Re: The World of Jeeves-P.G. Wodehouse

Unread post

They are on my listen list on Audible. I have friends who have praised the books but have yet to give them a go.
On the thin ice of modern life...
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

The Jeeves stories are very funny if you can slip into an entirely foreign world of rich, jobless, British aristocrats. A long while back, Hugh Laurie played Bertie Wooster on the BBC and was perfect. The role of Jeeves was played by another well known actor whose name I forget.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote:The Jeeves stories are very funny if you can slip into an entirely foreign world of rich, jobless, British aristocrats. A long while back, Hugh Laurie played Bertie Wooster on the BBC and was perfect. The role of Jeeves was played by another well known actor whose name I forget.
That would be Stephen Fry. That show was great. If you've only seen Hugh Laurie in House, you simply cannot believe his portrayal of Wooster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqU6lz8bGhA
-Geo
Question everything
Christabel Behr
Official Newbie!

Unread post

When I get done reading the book, I will have to watch the show. Thank you for letting me know about it.
Last edited by Christabel Behr on Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian douglas
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Audiblebooks.com is now offering free streaming on a lot of their books to members. I have found a lot of the Jeeves books available to stream for free.
On the thin ice of modern life...
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

I’d have to go back and do a slow peruse of ‘Life With Jeeves’ to get a better vision of Hugh Laurie as Bertie Wooster. I just pulled my copy from the shelf and the first thing I see is that there is more dust than I would care to be there. Laurie’s great, I say the same about Stephen Fry. Both are brilliant people.
This thread has put in my mind a desire to find out how well Laurie plays Wooster. :)
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

The Jeeves & Wooster stories are my favorite Wodehouse. I like the first person point of view and the breezy dialogue, and Bertie Wooster's ability to turn a phrase. I think the Soviets banned the books as too decadent. I guess they were, but they're so damn funny.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

KindaSkolarly wrote:The Jeeves & Wooster stories are my favorite Wodehouse. I like the first person point of view and the breezy dialogue, and Bertie Wooster's ability to turn a phrase. I think the Soviets banned the books as too decadent. I guess they were, but they're so damn funny.
This is you as Dr. Jekyl, not the first time we've seen that interesting other side--so normal, so reasonable. How do you suppress the ideology to be able to do that?

Return to “What are you currently reading?”