• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 709 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:09 am

Part 2: An Animal With A Strange Life Cycle

#34: Jan. - Mar. 2007 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Part 2: An Animal With A Strange Life Cycle

Unread post

Part 2An Animal With A Strange Life CycleThis thread is for discussing Part Two of The Third Chimpanzee, which covers Chapters 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 from pages 59 through 136. - no idea why I just added a dancing bunny to this thread.
Rich206

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finally Comfortable

Re: Part 2: An Animal With A Strange Life Cycle

Unread post

I was reading the part about women concealing when they were ovulating even from themselves, and it immediately brought to mind a recent study that claims to disprove this.Study links women's fashion sense to ovulation
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Re: Part 2: An Animal With A Strange Life Cycle

Unread post

That's an interesting article, but I think the point is still true -- a feeling of "oh, I want to wear that low-cut shirt today, with my new necklace" is not connected, consciously, in a woman's mind with "oh, I must be ovulating". (This study reminds me of another, on how women seem to be more attracted to men whose immune systems are different than theirs. Here's a link.)I haven't processed Diamond's chapter on that yet, so I'm going to flail here in my attempt to say the human female's genes have reasons to hide ovulation, but have obviously developed these subtle ways of pushing women to make themselves more attractive, to want to feel sexier, on days when they are fertile. "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds." Loricat's Book NookCelebrating the Absurd

Return to “The Third Chimpanzee: The Evolution and Future of the Human Animal - by Jared Diamond”