• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Ch. 2 - Experts: Benefits and Limitations

#70: Aug. - Sept. 2009 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

In a nutshell, it frequently helps to refer to an expert when evaluating a claim. But caveat emptor, experts can be wrong and frequently are, especially when going outside their own area of expertise.

Riniolo refers us to James Randi's famous "Project Alpha" in which Randi trained two amateur magicians in basic conjuring tricks and used them to bamboozle scientists at the McDonnell Laboratory for Psychical Research.

If you're not familiar with "Project Alpha" it was quite an elaborate hoax that took 21 months!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Alpha

Here's the quote from the beginning of this chapter:

James Randi: "Many men of science stupidly assume that because they have been trained in the physical sciences or medical arts, they are capable of flawless judgment in the investigation of alleged psychics. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, the more scientifically trained a person's mind, the more he or she is apt to be duped by an enterprising performer."

I think this assumption to which Randi refers underscores the importance of intellectual humility. A scientist or other "expert" can be easily led into believing he or she is superior than others in evaluating claims. Likewise, people tend to have a great deal of confidence in scientists and if they get burned once or twice they'll tend to mistrust scientists and science in general.
-Geo
Question everything
Krysondra

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Unread post

However, Riniolo strives to make the point that using experts in their own field is a good thing. An expert may be wrong, but in his field, he is much more likely to be right.

I think this is why they use dr.s and skinny people to sell exercise equipment and diet pills on late night TV. They give the presecnce of 'experts' to the sovle the "problem".
"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never say a common place thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..." ~ Jack Kerouac
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

I would speculate that people who are studious have more firmly formed opinions. In this sense, it would seem that the more you read and the more you learn, the more important it is for you to have intellectual humility.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

There is so much specialization in science and technology that we might wonder if an expert is really able to give a view on a larger question we might be interested in. Maybe climate is an example of no one expert being able to have a comprehensive view of the whole field. Experts in a given specialty also are often divided on an issue, and you wonder why this would be so.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

My book came in the mail today!! I'll join in the discussion more tomorrow.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote:There is so much specialization in science and technology that we might wonder if an expert is really able to give a view on a larger question we might be interested in. Maybe climate is an example of no one expert being able to have a comprehensive view of the whole field. Experts in a given specialty also are often divided on an issue, and you wonder why this would be so.
I think you're right that some things are so complex that any conclusion must be considered provisional. Actually that's the approach one should take with any scientific theory. With global warming you can look at much of the data and have different opinions about how valid it is. And, also, as you say, even experts are limited to their area of expertise. One can be an expert in one area, but not necessarily in other areas. And something like global warming encompasses different disciplines, so who's an expert at analyzing all the disparate data and be able to come to any definite conclusion. Anthropogenic global warming seems a vast, complex issue to me, so I don't think it's reasonable to come out with a definite opinion, one way or another. I think we should continue to listen to the experts, but also understand there's political pressure to rush to a conclusion and decide on a response all before the extent of the problem is fully understood.
Last edited by geo on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Geo
Question everything
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

Interbane wrote:My book came in the mail today!! I'll join in the discussion more tomorrow.
Great!
-Geo
Question everything
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

I had another thought about this topic that I don't think Rinolio mentions, at least not yet. Yes, we should definitely consult experts when researching something, but we should not turn off our own brains in the process. I think, in fact, we do take intellectual shortcuts all the time and we should try to be aware of this.

I mentioned this study here a while back which demonstrates that people tend to turn off executive function when asking advice of experts, especially when dealing with something complicated like financial matters.

http://www.physorg.com/news157098577.html

"Study participants were asked to make a series of financial choices between a guaranteed payment and a lottery while undergoing MRI scanning. During portions of the testing, the participants had to make decisions on their own; during other portions, they received advice from a financial expert about which choice to make.

"Results showed that brain regions consistent with decision-making were active in participants when making choices on their own; however, there occurred an offloading of the decision-making process in the presence of expert advice," says Jan B. Engelmann, PhD, Emory research fellow in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, and first author of the study.

So, yes, by all means consult the experts. Just be careful not to turn off your own brain in the process. :hmm:
-Geo
Question everything
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Financial forecasting is a great example of when expertise becomes a cult, in which powers are imputed to experts but where research shows that experts have no better success in choosing what people should invest in than a guy who pitches darts at a board to select his investments. I believe, anyway, that this has been shown to be the case.

Return to “When Good Thinking Goes Bad - by Todd C. Riniolo”